Twitter Facebook Vimeo Youtube Google Plus Pinterest Tumblr

Buildings

06 October 2015

1929 – Catholic Emancipation Centenary, Phoenix Park, Dublin

Built for celebrations to mark the centenary of Catholic Emancipation. A Pontifical High Mass in the Phoenix Park, on Sunday 24 June 1929, was attended by 300,000 people.

06 October 2015

1860 – Balance Rolling Bridge, George’s Dock, North Wall, Dublin

Architect: Turner & Gibson Illustration of a balance rolling bridge erected at George’s Dock, part of the Custom House Docks, by Turner & Gibson of the Hammersmith Iron Works. Later replaced.

01 October 2015

1780 – St. Catherine’s Church, Meath St., Dublin

“The chapel belonging to the parish formerly stood in Bridge foot street at the north side of Thomas street, but it being dilapidated, about 1780 a subscription was raised amongst the parishioners for...

01 October 2015

1875 – Classiebawn, Mullaghmore, Co. Sligo

Architect: J. Rawson Carroll Designed in the Baronial style by J. Rawson Carroll, a Dublin-based, but Scottish, architect, and is constructed of local stone with Mountcharles stone dressings brought by sea from County...

01 October 2015

1895 – Lakeview House, Co. Westmeath

Architect: Michael J. Tighe Published in The Irish Builder, June 15 1895.

30 September 2015

1824 – Royal Arcade and Grand Promenade, College Green, Dublin

Destroyed by fire in 1838. Described as “a beautiful structure two storeys high. The under one being the Arcade contained 30 shops filled with all sorts of merchandize, to regulate which strict bye...

30 September 2015

1754 – Bellevue House, Delgany, Co. Wicklow

The Ballydonagh demesne was bought in 1753 by David La Touche, a rich banker from Dublin of Huguenot extraction. He built a house between 1754 and 1756 at a cost of £30,000 and...

29 September 2015

1895 – Masonic Hall, Carlow, Co. Carlow

Architect: W. Morrison Symmetrical but domestically scaled Masonic Lodge, still in use today. Architect given as a W. Morrison.

29 September 2015

1785 – Bethesda Chapel, Dorset St., Dublin

In 1784 William Smyth, a Dublin merchant, founded the Bethesda Chapel in Dorset Street in connection with a female orphanage and, later in 1794, with the Lock Penitentiary. The illustration is a woodcut...

28 September 2015

1818 – Braganza House, Carlow, Co. Carlow

Architect: Thomas A. Cobden Originally built for Col. Sir Dudley Hill by Thomas A. Cobden, later the architect of the nearby Roman Catholic Cathedral. After been used as the Bishop’s Palace for many...