Twitter Facebook Vimeo Youtube Google Plus Pinterest Tumblr

Buildings

22 January 2015

1870 – Chapel, Loreto Convent, Fermoy, Co. Cork

Architect: G.C. Ashlin Extending an already established convent, Ashlin designed a new wing comprising recreation hall and dormitory, and chapel. Started in 1868, the dedication of the church was held on 16 April...

22 January 2015

1926 – Daly’s Bridge, Sundays Well, Cork

Architect: Stephen W. Farrington Completed in 1926, in wrought iron with timber walkway, by the London based David Rowell & Company to the designs of Stephen W. Farrington, the Cork City Engineer. The...

22 January 2015

1815 – Lord Bantry’s Cottage, Glengarriff, Co. Cork

Glengarriff Lodge began life as a modest hunting lodge constructed in the 1760s by wealthy Bantry lawyer Richard White. The family was later granted an hereditary peerage for its resistance to Wolfe Tone’s...

22 January 2015

1849 – Monard Viaduct, Co. Cork

Eight-arch limestone built viaduct, opened 1849, carrying Cork-Dublin railroad over Blarney River. Rock-faced rusticated piers, walls, parapet walls and cut stone string course.

21 January 2015

1840 – Bank of Ireland, 32 South Mall, Cork

Architect: Thomas Deane New bank by ‘Mssrs. Deane’, Thomas Deane & Co., comprising Thomas and his brother Kearns, on site formerly occupied by Harbour Commissioners’ office. Cost £3,500. Later alterations by Millar &...

21 January 2015

1714 – Palace Anne, Co. Cork

Named after Anne LePoer, wife of Arthur Bernard, who built the house in 1714. Lewis describes it as “a stately mansion, beautifully situated”. The house became dilapidated after the sale by the Bernards...

21 January 2015

1800 – Castle Bernard, Bandon, Co. Cork

In 1788 Francis Bernard, the 1st Earl of Bandon demolished much of the old O’Mahony castle that previously stood on this site, and built a castellated mansion. It was of two storeys with...

20 January 2015

1860s – No.39 Grafton Street, Dublin

Fine shopfront, now demolished. Possibly designed by William G. Murray who designed the building or a later replacement shop front.

20 January 2015

1821 – Meath Hospital, Long Lane, Dublin

Replacing an earlier hospital building on The Coombe, The Meath was built on the south side of Long Lane in 1821. A donation of £6000 from Thomas Pleasants, allowed the hospital to be...