Twitter Facebook Vimeo Youtube Google Plus Pinterest Tumblr

Architecture of Edinburgh

02 September 2009

1818 – City Observatory, Calton Hill, Edinburgh

Architect: William Playfair The third design for this Observatory, the original building (centre of photograph) is a small cruciform classical temple with a central telescope and dome. The architect William Playfair acquired the...

02 September 2009

1823 – Melville Monument, Edinburgh

Architect: William Burn Built in 1823, the Melville Monument is a 41 metre high tribute to Henry Dundas, Viscount Melville. Described as the most powerful scot of his time and described as “absolute...

07 November 2012

1826 – Royal Scottish Academy, Edinburgh, Scotland

Architect: William Henry Playfair Originally constructed between 1824-26, the Royal Institution (as it was until 1911) was extended in the 1830s to create the building we see today. The Egyptian sphinxes on the...

02 September 2009

1829 – National Monument, Calton Hill, Edinburgh

Architect: Charles Robert Cockerell The National Monument was built as an act of deliberate folly and contrary to popular lore was not the result of lack of funds. Built as a National Monument...

02 September 2009

1833 – St Giles Cathedral, Edinburgh

St Giles’ Cathedral, the High Kirk of Edinburgh, with its distinctive open crown steeple supported by eight flying buttresses mainly dates from the fifteenth century. Between 1829 and 1833 the building was “modernised”...

02 September 2009

1835 – St Mark’s Unitarian Church, Edinburgh

Architect: David Bryce A fine facade with tall roundheaded windows masks a good galleried interior with cast iron columns.

02 September 2009

1844 – Tolbooth St John’s, Edinburgh

Architects: J. Gillespie Graham / Augustus Welby Northmore Pugin A large Gothic church both in architectural style and for its dark brooding presence. A collaboration between local architect J Gillespie Graham and the...

02 September 2009

1846 – Scott Memorial, Edinburgh

Architect: George Kemp The Scott Monument was build between 1840-46 as a memorial to the writer Sir Walter Scott (1771 – 1832). Designed by architect George Kemp (1795-1844), who won a competition with...

02 September 2009

1847 – The Dome, Edinburgh

Architect: David Rhind Formerly a branch of the Royal Bank of Scotland, and now a bar, The Dome has a impressive sequence of interior spaces. A large hallway leads via a short passage...

Skip to toolbar