Twitter Facebook Vimeo Youtube Google Plus Pinterest Tumblr

Architecture of Edinburgh

18 February 2011

1873 – Design for Edinburgh Cathedral

Architect: William Burges Perspective view of unsuccessful design for Edinburgh Cathedral – the commission was won by George Gilbert Scott. Published in The Architect, February 15th 1873.

09 June 2009

1873 – Interior of Lady Chapel, St. Marys Cathedral, Edinburgh

Architect: Edward Welby Pugin Unsuccesful design in competition to design new episcopalian cathedral for Edinburgh.

25 February 2011

1873 – Design for Edinburgh Cathedral

Architect: George Edmund Street Perspective view of unsuccessful design for Edinburgh Cathedral – the commission was won by George Gilbert Scott. Published in The Architect, January 11th 1873.

09 June 2009

1877 – House at Edinburgh, Scotland

Perpsective view published in The Building News, March 23rd 1877.

06 May 2010

1878 – Grocery & Provision Warehouse, Leith, Edinburgh

Architect: James Simpson / William Mercer Built for the Scottish Co-operative Wholesale Society over several years. After the initial construction of 1878, it was doubled in length by architect William Mercer of the...

09 June 2009

1879 – Medical School, Edinburgh University

Architect: Robert Rowand Anderson Front perspective view including plans as published in The Building News, July 27th 1879.

14 May 2012

1879 – Royal Infirmary, Edinburgh, Scotland

Architect: David Bryce The new Royal Infirmary of Edinburgh, constructed between 1870 and 1879 provided an unprecedented 600 beds, arranged in eight three-storey pavilions with one large ward on each floor. At the...

02 September 2009

1879 – St Mary’s Episcopalian Cathedral, Edinburgh

Architect: Sir George Gilbert Scott After an architectural competition, this design of Sir George Gilbert Scott was chosen from six others. One of three designs by Sir George Gilbert Scott, for a church...

06 May 2011

1880s – Sheriff Court, Edinburgh, Scotland

Demolished 1938 and eeplaced by the National Library of Scotland, which was constructed between 1938 and 1956