Twitter Facebook Vimeo Youtube Google Plus Pinterest Tumblr

Architecture of Glasgow

14 February 2012

1843 – Glasgow Royal Asylum, Gartnavel, Scotland

Architect: Charles Wilson An unusual design in Tudor Gothic, built in 1842-43, with the chapel completed in 1904. Initially built to hold 420 patients and later extended. Each range was U-shaped with the...

20 December 2012

1855 – Royal Faculty of Procurators’ Hall, Glasgow

Architect: Charles Wilson The Royal Faculty of Procurators is a body which was incorporated prior to 1668 and continues to serve the needs of the legal profession in Glasgow and West Central Scotland....

03 October 2012

1858 – Chimney Pieces, Holmwood, Cathcart, Glasgow, Scotland

Architect: Alexander & George Thomson This unique Villa in attractive riverside grounds has been described as Alexander ‘Greek’ Thomson’s finest domestic design. It was built in 1857-8 for James Couper. Many rooms are...

16 April 2013

1860 – Warehouse, Bath St., Glasgow

Architect: A. & G. Thomson From The Building News, May 31 1872: “One of our illustrations this week is of a house in Bath-street, Glasgow, which was built about twelve years ago by...

14 January 2014

1862 – Free Church, Kelvinside, Glasgow

Architect: Douglas & Stevenson Opened in 1862, closed in the 1970s, it has now been converted and is functioning as the “Òran Mór” restaurant.

16 March 2013

1868 – Grecian Chambers, Sauchiehall Street, Glasgow

Architect: A. & G. Thomson A three storey building, designed by Alexander ‘Greek’ Thomson,, constructed as commercial premises with shop space on the ground floor front. The facade was restored in the late...

16 June 2009

1869 – United Presbyterian Church, Queens Park, Glasgow

Architect: A. & G. Thomson The United Presbyterian Church was designed by Alexander “Greek” Thomson, and destroyed in the Second World War when it was struck by a German incendiary bomb in March...

03 November 2012

1875 – Baptist Chapel, Bath St., Glasgow

Architect: Thomas Lennox Watson Classical façade with Corinthian columns supporting the pediment. Stained glass by W & J J Keir. Award-winning redevelopment in 1995 by Gillespies saw the founding of ‘Adelaide’s’ and the...

04 November 2009

1875 – Design for Baptist Church, Bath St., Glasgow

Architect: George Baines From The Architect, January 30, 1875: “Designs were recently submitted by the following architects in a limited competition for this church, none of which were accepted: – Messrs. R. Baldie,...


Skip to toolbar