Twitter Facebook Vimeo Youtube Google Plus Pinterest Tumblr

Architecture of Glasgow

15 October 2009

1880 – Proposed Municipal Offices, Glasgow

Architect: George Corson Corson’s entry to design a new public building for the city of Glasgow. The commission was won by William Young.

01 September 2009

1880 – The Trades House, Glasgow

Architect: J. Salmon & Son

01 January 2014

1880 – Design for New Municipal Buildings, Glasgow

Architect: Coe & Robinson Second Premiated design in architectural competition for new muncipal buildings, now Glasgow City Chambers. The competition was won by Paisley-born architect William Young, and the building opened in 1888.

18 June 2010

1881 – Glasgow Asylum for the Blind, Scotland

Architect: William Landless Published in The Architect June 24th 1882. The Blind Asylum was founded in 1804, with the first building on Castle Street erected in 1828 by public subscription. A competition was...

16 June 2009

1883 – Design for Southern Hospital, Glasgow

Architect: John B. Wilson

16 June 2009

1884 – Wellington Church, Glasgow

Architect: Thomas Lennox Watson The exterior of Wellington Church is notable for its magnificent neoclassical portico, complete with a colonnade of Corinthian columns. This neoclassical architecture was much favoured by United Presbyterian Church...

03 November 2012

1888 – International Exhibition of Science, Art and Industry, Glasgow

Architect: James Sellars The International Exhibition of Science, Art and Industry was the first of four international exhibitions held in Glasgow during the late 19th and early 20th centuries. The buildings for the...

17 June 2013

1888 – Glasgow’s City Chambers

Architect: William Young Designs for successful entry in competition to design new city hall, published in The Building News, September 15 1882. The winning design was by William Young, a London-based architect whose...

16 December 2010

1888 – New Parish Church, Govan, Glasgow, Scotland

Architect: Robert Rowand Anderson Perspective View including ground plan published in The Building News, November 21st 1884. Now known as Govan Old Parish Church, it was also known as “St Constantine’s”. Since 2007,...


Skip to toolbar