Twitter Facebook Vimeo Youtube Google Plus Pinterest Tumblr

Architecture of Scotland

30 December 2009

1906 – The Mitchell Library, Glasgow

Architect: William B.Whitie The Mitchell Library was established with a bequest from Stephen Mitchell, a wealthy tobacco manufacturer, whose company, Stephen Mitchell and Son, would become one of the constituent members of the...

02 September 2009

1907 – Burtons Department Store, Edinburgh

Architect: Sir John James Burnet Scotland’s first steel framed building, this is a fine corner building originally built as a department store for Burtons. It is still in use as commercial premises but...

19 January 2014

1907 – Lothian Chambers, Edinburgh, Scotland

Architect: James Macintyre Henry Lothian Chambers, formerly the Midlothian County Buildings, at the corner of George IV Bridge and the Royal Mile. Although only placed fourth in the competition to design the new...

16 June 2009

1909 – Glasgow School of Art

Architect: Charles Rennie Mackintosh The Glasgow School of Art campus is spread across 10 buildings, most of which are situated on Renfew Street in Garnethill. The Mackintosh Building, or ‘the Mac’ as it...

09 June 2009

1910 – The Usher Hall, Edinburgh

Architect: James Stockdale Harrison

02 September 2009

1956 – National Library of Scotland, Edinburgh

Architect: Reginald Fairlie Located on George IV Bridge in Edinburgh is the main building of the National Library of Scotland, Scotland’s only copyright deposit library. A pre-war design, the foundations were laid and...

06 May 2014

1960 – Goldberg’s Department Store, Tollcross, Edinburgh

Architect: J. & F. Johnston & Partners Goldberg’s Department Store opened in 1960 at High Riggs in Tollcross and wasintended to be the focal point in a new road system for Tollcros –...

25 June 2009

1961 – Scottish Provident Building, Edinburgh

Architect: Rowand Anderson, Kininmonth & Paul A fine office block on St Andrews Square with office accommodation defined as the horizontal elements and a vertical services tower. Despite being over forty years old,...

06 May 2014

1962 – Unbuilt Proposal for St. James, Edinburgh

Architect: Sir Basil Spence Sir Basil Spence’s concept for the redevelopment of the St James area in 1962. The proposal involved the total obliteration of Leith Street and the construction of a subterranean...


Skip to toolbar