Twitter Facebook Vimeo Youtube Google Plus Pinterest Tumblr

Architecture of Illinois

17 September 2009

1946 – Wishnick Hall / Chemistry Building, IIT, Chicago

Architect: Mies van der Rohe Originally used as the Chemistry Building, Wishnick Hall is currently undergoing redevelopment as an advanced IT centre. This redevelopment will allow important upgrading of services and the restoration...

21 September 2009

1951 – 860-880 Lake Shore Drive, Chicago, Illinois

Architect: Mies van der Rohe Deceptively simple in appearance, these twin apartment towers set the standard by which all subsequent glass-and-steel highrises are judged. Few, if any, have come even close to these...

17 September 2009

1951 – Farnsworth House, Plano, Illinois

Architect: Mies van der Rohe Designed and built from 1946 to 1951, Farnsworth House is considered an icon of international style architecture in America. The steel and glass house was commissioned by Dr....

17 September 2009

1952 – Chapel of Saint Savior / Robert F. Carr Chapel, IIT, Chicago

Architect: Mies van der Rohe The chapel is Mies’s only building designed for religious services. Unique among the single-story pavilions on campus, the chapel has load-bearing brick walls, not a steel frame.

21 September 2009

1956 – 900-910 Lake Shore Drive, Chicago, Illinois

Architect: Mies van der Rohe A further development of his work at 860-880 Lake Shore Drive (immediately next door), 900-910 was built as two blocks of different sizes with a low pavilion building...

17 September 2009

1956 – Crown Hall, IIT, Chicago

Architect: Mies van der Rohe Widely regarded as one of the most architecturally significant buildings of the 20th Century, Crown Hall was completed in 1956 during Mies van der Rohe’s tenure as director...

18 September 2009

1957 – Chicago Sun Times, Illinois

Architect: Naess & Murphy Because of its prime riverside location, the land beneath the oddly shaped, seven-story structure has long been coveted by developers pained by the profits uncaptured. Each succeeding owner of...

21 September 2009

1962 – Marina City, Chicago, Illinois

Architect: Bertrand Goldberg Sitting on a three-acre site, Marina City is referred to as “the city within a city,” as there is a 16-story office building inside; a 1,750-seat theater and a 700-seat...

21 September 2009

1969 – John Hancock Center, Chicago, Illinois

Architect: Skidmore, Owings & Merrill LLP Today, the John Hancock Center in Chicago, Illinois, is affectionately known as “Big John,” but it was not always this way. Located on North Michigan Avenue along...

21 September 2009

1971 – IBM Building, Chicago, Illinois

Architect: Mies van der Rohe This is Mies’ last American building and his largest, faced with dark aluminum and bronze-tinted glass.The original plan called for a U-shaped building, but the rectangular design was...