Twitter Facebook Vimeo Youtube Google Plus Pinterest Tumblr

Architecture of Minnesota

04 November 2010

1874 – Church of the Assumption, St. Paul, Minnesota

Architect: Joseph Reidel The Church of the Assumption was founded in 1856 by Bishop Joseph Cretin and served newly arrived immigrants from Ireland, France and Germany. Ground was broken for the first church...

10 November 2010

1883 – Stone Arch Bridge, Minneapolis, Minnesota

Architect: Railroad baron James J. Hill built the bridge in 1883 for his Great Northern Railway to allow for increased movement of people and goods across the Mississippi River. The Stone Arch Bridge...

26 January 2015

1885 – First Baptist Church, Minneapolis, Minnesota

Architect: Kees & Fisk The third home for the First Baptist Church when the present structure was built in 1885 at 10th street and Hennepin avenue. The building was designed by the firm...

17 September 2009

1885 – Lumber Exchange Building, Minneapolis

Architect: Long & Kees The Lumber Exchange was designed in 1885 by architects Franklin B. Long (1842-1912) and Frederick Kees (1852-1927). Designed in a Richardsonian Romanesque style, the Lumber Exchange was the first...

04 November 2010

1887 – Andrew Presbyterian Church, Minneapolis, Minnesota

Architect: Warren H. Hayes Published in American Architect and Building News.

03 November 2010

1888 – Bank of St. Paul Building, St. Paul, Minnesota

Architect: J. Walter Stevens Built as a bank, this is a fine red sandstone example of Richardson Romanesque. Formerly also known as the Germania Bank Building, it was added to the National Register...

04 November 2010

1888 – First Congregational Church of Minneapolis, Minnesota

Architect: Warren H. Hayes In 1886 it laid the cornerstone of its present building. Built of red sandstone in Gothic-Romanesque style, with round-arched windows and semi-circular rows of pews, it still is one...

06 February 2012

1889 – Post Office, Minneapolis, Minnesota

Architect: Mifflin E. Bell Fine Beaux-Arts post office building that was replaced by an art deco building on a different site in the early 1930s. Demolished in 1960. Designed under supervision of Mifflin...

06 July 2011

1889 – Residence, Minneapolis, Minnesota

Architect: J.W. & F.D. Orff Designed for lawyer J. Frank Collom, who later the same year, confessed to forging client signatures to appropriate their funds to the tune of $227,000. At the time...


Skip to toolbar