Twitter Facebook Vimeo Youtube Google Plus Pinterest Tumblr

Architecture of Minnesota

17 September 2009

1905 – State Capitol, St. Paul, Minnesota

Architect: Cass Gilbert When the Minnesota Territory was organized in 1849, the legislature held its first meetings in a log hotel in St. Paul. Not until five years later was the first Capitol...

06 November 2010

1908 – National Farmer’s Bank, Owatonna, Minnesota

Architect: Louis Sullivan Designed by Louis Sullivan with decorative elements by George Elmslie, and was the first of Sullivan’s “jewel boxes”. The building is clad in red brick with green terra cotta bands,...

19 November 2009

1909 – Minneapolis City Hall, Minnesota

Architect: Long & Kees City Hall located at 350 South Fifth Street, is an example of Richardsonian Romanesque architecture, and is based upon Henry Hobson Richardson’s Allegheny County Courthouse in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania. It...

04 November 2010

1909 – St. Louis Church, St. Paul, Minnesota

Architect: Emmanuel Louis Masqueray Officially the Church of St. Louis, King of France, this was the third site of worship established by the French Canadians in the river town of St. Paul. Designed...

04 November 2010

1910 – St. Mark’s Episcopal Cathedral, Minneapolis, Minnesota

Architect: Edwin Hawley Hewitt

30 August 2012

1914 – Conservatory, Como Park, St. Paul, Minnesota

Architect: Frederick Nussbaumer Inspired in part by the landscape designs of H.W.S. Cleveland, Frederick Nussbaumer, Superintendent of Parks from 1891 to 1922, worked tirelessly to create an outdoor haven for the area’s urban...

17 September 2009

1915 – 501 Marquette (Soo Line Building), Minneapolis, Minnesota

Architect: Robert W. Gibson 501 Marquette was the tallest commercial building in the city from the time it was completed in 1915 until the Foshay Tower was built in 1929. It was built...

04 November 2010

1915 – Hamm Building, St. Paul, Minnesota

Architect: Toltz, King & Day The Hamm Building is a 1915 limestone, terra cotta, and brick commercial building in Saint Paul, Minnesota; its ornamentation is exceptional. It is listed on the National Register...

06 February 2014

1915 – Museum of Fine Arts, Minneapolis, Minnesota

Architect: McKim, Mead & White Built on land donated by the Morrison family formerly occupied by their Villa Rosa mansion, the museum by McKim, Mead & White is one of the finest examples...


Skip to toolbar