Twitter Facebook Vimeo Youtube Google Plus Pinterest Tumblr

Architecture of Pennsylvania

15 September 2009

1891 – Philadelphia Museum of Art

Architect: Hermann J. Schwarzmann In March 1873, an act of the Pennsylvania State Legislature set in motion plans for the construction of Memorial Hall to be designed by Hermann J. Schwarzmann, which was...

15 September 2009

1891 – St. Stanislaus Church, Pittsburgh

Architect: Frederick Sauer Designed by Pittsburgh architect Frederick Sauer, St. Stanislaus Kostka Church was constructed in 1891. The congregation was formed in 1873 when 200 Polish families banded together to form the St....

29 July 2009

1892 – House, Erie, Pennsylvania

Architect: Green & Wicks

30 July 2009

1892 – The Duquesne Club House, Pittsburg, Pennsylvania

Architects: Longfellow, Alden & Harlow

15 September 2009

1893 – Penn Station, Pittsburgh

Architect: D.H. Burnham & Company Pittsburgh’s central train station, built in 1893, was designed by Daniel Burnham, a Chicago architect who also designed New York’s iconic Flatiron building. The Rotunda is the highlight...

10 December 2013

1935 – Windowless Office Building, Hershey, Pennsylvania

Architect: D. Paul Witmer Completed in September of 1935, the Windowless Office Building provided a tightly controlled environment for employees. It featured central air conditioning, “scientifically” planned artificial lighting, glass partitions in place...

15 September 2009

1936 – Cathedral of Learning, Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania

Architect: Charles Z. Klauder The building is set in a terraced lawn at the University of Pittsburgh campus on the city’s east side. The first gallery, the Nationality Rooms, commemorate the nationalities making...

15 September 2009

1938 – Heinz Memorial Chapel, Pittsburgh

Architect: Charles Z. Klauder The Heinz Memorial Chapel began as a gift. Henry John Heinz, the founder of the H. J. Heinz Company, wanted to honor his mother, Anna Margaretta Heinz, with “a...

15 September 2009

1970 – U.S. Steel Tower, Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania

Architect: Harrison & Abramovitz In the initial planning stages, the U.S. Steel Corporation seriously considered making this development the world’s tallest building as an endorsement of their industry. When completed in 1970 Pittsburgh’s...

15 September 2009

1984 – One PPG Place, Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania

Architect: Johnson/Burgee Architects The entire PPG Place complex has 231 glass spires. The building features a glass “winter garden” on the west side, and a monumental plaza to the east surrounded by shorter...