Twitter Facebook Vimeo Youtube Google Plus Pinterest Tumblr

Buildings

22 October 2014

1883 – Grattan & Co., Great Victoria St., Belfast

Architect: Young & Mackenzie A new premises for “Grattan’s Aerated Water Manufactory”. Published in The Irish Builder, October 1, 1883.

21 October 2014

1923 – Proposed Reconstruction of Upper O’Connell Street, Dublin

Architect: Horace T. O’Rourke The rebuilding of Lower Sackville Street was almost complete after the destruction of 1916 when civil war broke out in 1922. The north-eastern side of the street, from Cathedral...

16 October 2014

1900 – Water Tower, Curragh Camp, Co. Kildare

Architect: Richard Randall Large brick water tower, eighty-five feet high and 35 feet square. Randall was a Surveyor in the War Department, and stationed at the Curragh Camp from around 1885 until his...

15 October 2014

1816 – St. Gobhann’s Church of Ireland, Seagoe, Co. Armagh

Architect: Sir Thomas Drew Largely constructed in 1816 near the site of former one, which had become too small. Described by Lewis as ‘a large handsome edifice in the early English style, with...

15 October 2014

1862 – Minor Model Schools, Lurgan, Co. Armagh

Architect: James H. Owen Constructed with Coalisland brick and stone in an Italianate style complete with clock tower. The Model School was part of the national schools programme proposed in 1831 in which...

15 October 2014

1903 – Armagh & District Co-operative Society, Armagh

Architect: Henry C. Parkinson Fine commercial building on a corner site adjoining the Northern Bank – now demolished and replaced by a larger, modern building which attempts to replicate some elements of the...

09 October 2014

1884 – Villa Weber, rue Erlanger, Paris

Architect: Paul Sédille Although now best known for his rebuilding of the Printemps department store in Paris, Paul Sédille wrote numerous articles on the evolution of architecture in the 1870s and 1880s. It...

09 October 2014

1880 – Railway Station, Le Havre, France

Architect: M.J. Lisch The second railway station in Le Havre, built in 1880 to replace the original station of 1847. Replaced with a new station built in 1932 by Henri Pacon for the...

09 October 2014

1860 – Fontaine Saint-Michel, Paris

Architect: Gabriel Davioud The Saint Michel Fountain is located between the boulevard Saint-Michel and the Place Saint-André-des-Arts. It depicts the archangel Michael vanquishing the Devil, evoking thoughts of the battle between Good and...