Twitter Facebook Vimeo Youtube Google Plus Pinterest Tumblr

Architecture of New South Wales

10 January 2014

1845 – Old Customs House, Sydney, Australia

Architect: Mortimer Lewis, James Barnet, Walter L. Vernon The original two-storey Georgian structure was designed by Mortimer Lewis and featured 13 large and expensive windows in the facade to afford a clear view...

14 November 2013

1849 – Former Treasury Building, Macquarie St., Sydney, Australia

Architect: Mortimer Lewis & Walter L. Vernon Now subsumed into a large modern hotel complex l, this former government office was built in two stages, beginning with the Treasury (the Bridge St corner)...

07 September 2009

1851 – St. Francis Xavier Church, Berrima, New South Wales

Architect: Augustus Welby Northmore Pugin This is Pugin’s only intact and essentially unaltered building in Australia. In its layout and permanent liturgical furnishings””piscina, sedilia, Easter sepulchre recess, provision for a Doom painting (the...

14 November 2013

1856 – Water Police Court, Sydney, Australia

Architect: Edmund Thomas Blacket Policing Sydney’s harbour was the task of its Water Police. This court house and adjacent police office was built from Bennelong Point sandstone to the design of Colonial Architect...

07 September 2009

1862 – University of Sydney, Main Quadrangle

Architect: Edmund Thomas Blacket The architect Edmund Blacket designed the original Neogothic sandstone Quadrangle and Great Tower buildings, which were completed in 1862. While famous for his churches, and sometimes referred to as...

07 September 2009

1868 – St. Andrew’s Cathedral, Sydney

Architect: Edmund Thomas Blacket Started in 1837, the plans prepared by the architect James Hume, were of much more modest proportions and were for a traditional cruciform church in the Gothic style. The...

31 January 2014

1874 – Design for Museum & Library, Sydney, Australia

Architect: James Barnet James Barnet’s design for a combined Art Gallery, Museum and Library in 1874, never constructed. Intended for the corner of College and William streets was far grander than the museum...

10 December 2013

1880 – Chief Secretary’s Building, Macquarie St., Sydney, Australia

Architect: James Barnet Originally the Colonial Secretary’s Building, this sandstone building was the seat of colonial administration, has been used continuously by the Government of New South Wales, and even today holds the...

13 November 2013

1880 – Clarence River Light, New South Wales, Australia

Architect: James Barnet One of a range of lighthouses built to a similar design by James Barnet. Constructed in 1880, and demolished in 1956 after a new taller light was constructed.