Twitter Facebook Vimeo Youtube Google Plus Pinterest Tumblr

Architecture of Alberta

02 August 2012

1907 – Imperial Bank of Canada, Edmonton, Alberta

During the late 19th century, the Imperial Bank of Canada was expanding across Canada, opening a branch in Edmonton in 1891. An all-new building was constructed on the site in 1907, a grand...

01 August 2012

1907 – Land Titles Office, Calgary, Alberta

Architect: Allan Merrick Jeffers Constructed in 1907-08 at a cost of $80,000, was designed to be a “strictly fireproof” structure. Built of Calgary sandstone backed with brick and concrete, the windows and doors...

01 August 2012

1907 – Merchants Bank of Canada, Edmonton

Architect: Hogle & Davis Built in 1907, the grand columned building on the northwest corner of Jasper Avenue and 100 A Street was originally home to the Merchants Bank, which had started Edmonton...

06 August 2011

1910 – Canada Permanent Building, Edmonton, Alberta

Architect: Roland Lines The Canada Permanent Building is a three-storey brick, stone, and reinforced concrete building Roland Lines and was advertised as “the only fire-proof building in Edmonton”. A good example of the...

01 August 2010

1910 – Galt Museum, Lethbridge, Alberta

Originally built as the Galt Hospital, the building has now found new purpose as part of the Galt Museum in Lethbridge.

01 August 2012

1910 – Grain Exchange, Calgary, Alberta

Architect: Hodgson & Bates William Roper Hull, rancher, real estate speculator and founding member of the Calgary Grain Exchange, built this six-storey sandstone structure in 1910 to provide offices for the newly formed...

01 August 2011

1911 – City Hall, Calgary, Alberta

Architect: William M. Dodd & E.C. Hopkins Now dwarfed by the newer city hall sited next to it, currently used as the offices of the mayor and alderman, while the other functions of...

07 July 2012

1911 – CPR Department of Natural Resources, Calgary, Alberta

Canadian Pacific Railway Department of Natural Resources building which was on the south side of 9th Avenue east of Centre Street, beside the CPR station. The building occupied the site of what was...

01 August 2011

1911 – Dominion Bank, Calgary, Alberta

Architect: George W. Northwood A fine three-storey sandstone and marble bank building with a terra cotta facade. Its symmetrical front facade, columns and entablature embody the Beaux-Arts style. Still extant today on the...