Twitter Facebook Vimeo Youtube Linkedin Google Plus Pinterest Tumblr

Architecture of Alberta

07 July 2012

1913 – Government House, Edmonton, Alberta

Architect: R.P. Blakey The three storey sandstone edifice was designed in the Jacobean Revival style which is characterized by bay windows, high gabled roofs with raised ends, and groups of rectangular windows. The...

01 August 2012

1913 – Hudson’s Bay Company, Calgary, Alberta

Architect: Burke Horwood & White Magnificent Edwardian department store of six storeys with the facade organized into three divisions. The base features display windows behind an arched colonnade. The middle division, the second...

01 June 2012

1913 – Post Office, Lethbridge, Alberta

Architect: David Ewart The two principle facades of the original building, on 4th Avenue and 7th Street are joined by the imposing corner clock tower. The two facades though of different lengths are...

06 August 2011

1915 – McLeod Building, Edmonton, Alberta

Architect: J.K. Dow As the only terra cotta-clad building in the city, this massive Chicago School style building is valued for its landmark status, its architecture and its unique decoration, which reflects the...

07 July 2012

1918 – Lancaster Building, Calgary, Alberta

Architect: James Teague Architect’s rendering of Mackie Block constructed between 1912-18 and now known as the Lancaster Building.

02 April 2012

1918 – Mewata Armory, Calgary, Alberta

Architect: Thomas W. Fuller The building was built between 1915 and 1918 for an original cost of $282,051 Canadian dollars. The building was designed by Thomas W. Fuller (Department of Public Works Architect...

01 August 2011

1923 – Bank of Montreal Building, Calgary, Alberta

Architect: Frederick Rea A branch of the Bank of Montreal had existed on this site since 1886. In the late 1920s, it was decided to build a new building on the site to...

01 August 2011

1923 – Public Library, Edmonton, Alberta

Architect: Magoon & MacDonald Constructed on Macdonald Drive in downtown Edmonton. Demolished 1961. Site now occupied by Telus Plaza.

01 August 2012

1929 – T. Eaton Co., Calgary, Alberta

Architect: Ross & Macdonald The T. Eaton Co. opened its original department store on the site in 1929. In the late 1980s Eaton’s relocated into a new building one block west. In 1988,...