Twitter Facebook Vimeo Youtube Google Plus Pinterest Tumblr

Architecture of Winnipeg

21 April 2010

1899 – Bain Building, Bannatyne Avenue, Winnipeg, Manitoba

Architect: James J. McDiarmid The west portion of the Brokerage was constructed in 1899 for Edward Nicholson, an Ottawa-born merchant who started a wholesale grocery brokerage firm. In 1905, he made a partner...

04 July 2012

1899 – Canadian Bank of Commerce, Winnipeg, Manitoba

Architect: Darling & Pearson Dismantled stone by stone in 1910 and re-erected in Regina, Saskatchewan. A replacement bank building, even more grandiose was designed and built by Darling & Pearson.

14 July 2012

1899 – Dominion Bank, 440 Main Street, Winnipeg, Manitoba

Architect: Darling & Pearson Beautiful turned corner with banking hall. Located at 440 Main Street, and demolished in 1966. Now an empty site.

21 April 2010

1899 – Isbister School, Winnipeg, Manitoba

Architects: Samuel Hooper Isbister School, one of the first three-storey school buildings in Winnipeg is the oldest public school building in Winnipeg. Designed by Samuel Hooper before he became Provincial Architect in 1904,...

30 September 2009

1899 – Manitoba Trusts Company, Winnipeg, Manitoba

Architect: George Gouinlock Manitoba Trusts Company building constructed at Notre Dame Street East, 1898-99.

21 April 2010

1899 – Merrick-Anderson Building, Bannatyne Avenue, Winnipeg, Manitoba

Architect: James J. McDiarmid With the adjoining Bain Building, this brick and limestone building is a fine early Winnipeg warehouse. Merrick, and Anderson were originally travellers for Dennis Moore of Hamilton. With the...

21 April 2010

1899 – No. 189 Bannatyne (McClary Building), Winnipeg, Manitoba

Architect: S. Frank Peters Like other warehouses on Bannatyne Avenue, the McClary Building benefited from a railway spur to the rear in what is now John Hirsch Place. Much like other Peters designs,...

21 April 2010

1900 – Gault Building, Winnipeg, Manitoba

Architect: George Browne A fine large brick faced warehouse that was originally built as a four storey over basement building. It was applauded as one of the most commodious warehouses in the City....

21 April 2010

1900 – Marshall Wells Building, Bannatyne Avenue, Winnipeg, Manitoba

Architect: James J. McDiarmid A post and beam frame structure with brick and stone external detailing, this small warehouse features exposed woodbeams and brickwork internally. All four floors have windows on three sides...