Twitter Facebook Vimeo Youtube Google Plus Pinterest Tumblr

Lost Winnipeg

13 August 2012

1901 – Royal Archway, Winnipeg

Royal arch for visit of Duke and Duchess of Cornwall and York (later, King George V and Queen Mary). Winnipeg, Canada

14 July 2012

1902 – Merchants Bank, Main Street, Winnipeg

Architect: Taylor & Gordon Winnipeg’s first steel framed building at seven storeys high. Merchants Bank of Canada was taken over by the Bank of Montreal in the early 1920s. Demolished to make way...

03 July 2012

1902 – Strathcona Block, Winnipeg, Manitoba

Architect: George Creeford Browne The Strathcona block was built for Lord Strathcona as an elite residential building on the corner of Main Street and Broadway in 1902. It later became Fort Garry Court,...

21 July 2012

1903 – Alexandra School, Edmonton Street, Winnipeg

Architect: J.B. Mitchell Designed by local architect J.B. Mitchell who was responsible for many of the best school designs in Winnipeg. Originally a two-storey building, the third floor was added when enrolment justified...

31 July 2012

1903 – Carlton School, Graham Avenue, Winnipeg

Architect: J.B. Mitchell Built to replace the earlier South Central Schools designed by Barber & Barber. Only used for twentyseven years before it was bought by Eatons, demolished for expansion of a parking...

28 April 2010

1904 – Eaton’s Department Store, Winnipeg, Manitoba

Architects: John Woodman For years the focal point of downtown Winnipeg, the former Eatons Department Store has been demolished to make way for a much criticised entertainment complex. Fortunately the linked Eaton Place...

29 June 2010

1904 – Firehall No.5, Sherbrook St., Winnipeg, Manitoba

Architects: Alexander & William Melville In 1903 the firm of A. and W. Melville, architects and civil engineers, began operation. This company was responsible for numerous buildings in and around the city. An...

30 September 2009

1904 – Post Office, Portage Avenue, Winnipeg, Manitoba

Architect: Darling, Pearson & Over Built to replace an earlier post office building near Pacific Station, which was demolished. This fine post office was also demolished and replaced with a terrible building including...

04 July 2012

1905 – Empire Hotel, Winnipeg, Manitoba

Architect: Alexander & William Melville Originally conceived as the Cauchon Block, and then converted into an upmarket hotel in 1905 by architects Alexander & William Melville for the railway traveller. Ultimately the Empire...