Twitter Facebook Vimeo Youtube Google Plus Pinterest Tumblr

Lost Winnipeg

13 August 2010

1905 – Northern Bank, Winnipeg

Architect: George W. Northwood Established as Winnipeg’s Northern Bank in 1905 and merging with the exclusively Ontario-based Crown Bank of Canada in 1908 to form the Northern Crown Bank. Winnipeg remained the new...

04 July 2012

1906 – Royal Alexandra Hotel, Winnipeg, Manitoba

Architect: E. & W.S. Maxwell The 18th and most luxurious of the Canadian Pacific Railway’s hotels, the Royal Alex closed in 1967 and was demolished in 1971. For many years, its ornate interior...

14 July 2012

1907 – Nanton Building, Portage Avenue, Winnipeg

Architect: Darling & Pearson Demolished.

19 June 2012

1908 – St. Boniface Cathedral, Winnipeg, Manitoba

Architect: Marchand & Haskell The fourth church or cathedral on this site was built in 1908 and destroyed by fire in 1968. The interior was lost and the two towers which flanked the...

14 July 2012

1909 – Child’s Building, Portage Avenue, Winnipeg

Architect: John H. G. Russell Previously known as the McArthur Building. Demolished in the early 1980s to make way for a skyscraper development.

21 July 2012

1909 – Devon Court Apartments, 376 Broadway, Winnipeg

Architect: John D. Atchison The Devon Court Apartments, 376 Broadway, demolished in 1981. Designed by prominent Winnipeg architect John D. Atchison.

04 July 2012

1909 – Pavilion, Assiniboine Park, Winnipeg, Manitoba

Architect: John D. Atchison The tower housed a 16,000 gallon water tank that was visible throughout the park. Built at a cost of $19,000, the pavilion housed dining and dance halls featured loggias...

02 July 2012

1910 – Lord Roberts School, Winnipeg, Manitoba

Architect: J.B. Mitchell Designed by Winnipeg school architect J. B. Mitchell, and named after highly decorated British Field Marshall, Lord Frederick Sleigh Roberts (1832-1914), the fireproof, solid grey brick, three-storey building contained 16...

30 July 2011

1911 – Orpheum Theatre, 283 Fort Street, Winnipeg

Architect: John D. Atchison / Kirchhoff & Rose The Orpheum Theatre, was one of the chain of Orpheum Theatres across Canada and the United States. It opened on 13 March 1911, and the...