Twitter Facebook Vimeo Youtube Google Plus Pinterest Tumblr

Architecture of Calgary

01 August 2011

1911 – Dominion Bank, Calgary, Alberta

Architect: George W. Northwood A fine three-storey sandstone and marble bank building with a terra cotta facade. Its symmetrical front facade, columns and entablature embody the Beaux-Arts style. Still extant today on the...

08 June 2012

1911 – Fire Hall No.1, Calgary, Alberta

Architect: Lang & Major Built in 1911 to replace Calgary’s first Fire Headquarters, which had been erected in 1887. Front exterior view of Firehall No.1, known as the Central Fire Station. The large...

01 August 2012

1912 – Beveridge-Travis Block, Calgary, Alberta

Architect: Hodgson, Bates & Butler Demolished in 1987 following a December 1986 fire which also destroyed the Commercial Block adjacent. At the time of its construction a local newspaper reported, “It is fully...

01 August 2012

1912 – Lougheed Building, Calgary, Alberta

Architect: L.R. Wardrop For many years this building also contained the Grand Theatre – which had a seating capacity of 1,500 and one of the largest stages in the country. It had an...

01 August 2011

1912 – Memorial Park Library, Calgary, Alberta

Architect: McLean & Wright Philanthropist Andrew Carnegie funded $80,000 of the $100,000 cost of Calgary’s Central Library, which was the first purpose-built public library in Alberta. It was designed by Boston architects McLean...

07 August 2011

1912 – The Herald Building, Calgary, Alberta

Also known as the Southam building, it housed the Calgary Herald from 1913-1932. During the 1960s the exterior was ‘modernised’ removing much of the exterior decoration. Demolished 1972.

07 July 2012

1913 – Burns Building, Calgary, Alberta

Architect: William S. Bates Constructed between 1912 and 1913, the Burns Building embodies the Chicago style of architecture in its reinforced concrete framing, grid-like fenestration pattern, terra cotta decorative elements, and prominent upper...

01 August 2012

1913 – Hudson’s Bay Company, Calgary, Alberta

Architect: Burke Horwood & White Magnificent Edwardian department store of six storeys with the facade organized into three divisions. The base features display windows behind an arched colonnade. The middle division, the second...

07 July 2012

1918 – Lancaster Building, Calgary, Alberta

Architect: James Teague Architect’s rendering of Mackie Block constructed between 1912-18 and now known as the Lancaster Building.