Twitter Facebook Vimeo Youtube Linkedin Google Plus Pinterest Tumblr

Architecture of Manitoba

22 April 2010

1835 – Upper Fort Garry Gate, Winnipeg, Manitoba

Upper Fort Garry was the last of five forts, known to have been built in this general vicinity. The other forts included: Fort Rouge (circa 1736), Fort Gibraltar (circa 1806), Fort Douglas (circa...

17 December 2009

1849 – St. Andrew’s Anglican Church, Manitoba

Architect: William Cockran Between 1845 and 1849 construction proceeded on a new stone church to serve the burgeoning Parish of St. Andrew’s. The building was designed by Archdeacon William Cockran (1798-1865) to serve...

15 April 2010

1851 – Grey Nuns Convent, Winnipeg, Manitoba

Architect: L’Abbé Louis François Laflèche The old convent of the Grey Nuns, which today houses the St. Boniface Museum, was built between 1846 and 1851, and was constructed of white oak logs. The...

15 April 2010

1852 – Ross House, Winnipeg, Manitoba

Ross House had its beginnings in 1852 when construction commenced on William Ross’s log home. Ross was appointed Post Master in 1855 by the Council of Assiniboia and he operated the post office...

14 April 2010

1855 – Old St. James Anglican Church, Winnipeg, Manitoba

In 1850, Reverend W.H. Taylor was instructed by the Bishop of Rupert’s Land, The Right Reverend David Anderson, to establish a church for the settlement expanding westward along the banks of the Assiniboine...

17 December 2009

1855 – St. Andrew’s Rectory, St. Andrews, Manitoba

Built as the home of Archdeacon William Cockran, who designed the adjacent church, between 1853 and 1855, St. Andrew’s Rectory is an excellent example of mid-19th century Red River architecture. It is a...

17 December 2009

1857 – St. Clement’s Anglican Church, Manitoba

The official church for employees of the Hudson’s Bay Company who were stationed at the nearby Lower Fort Garry, St Clements was started in 1857 but the short bell tower was not completed...

15 April 2010

1864 – Archbishop’s Palace, Winnipeg, Manitoba

Architect: George C. Izenour Built in 1864 under the guidance of Bishop Taché, the west wing of this residence stands as one of the oldest stone buildings remaining in Western Canada. Its mansard...

22 April 2010

1873 – Hotel Winnipeg, Winnipeg, Manitoba

Architects: Walter Chesterton / Samuel Hooper Small hotel building on Main Street, where there was once many due to the railway station. Although ruined at ground level, the upper floors still have a...

Pages:1234567...37Next »