Twitter Facebook Vimeo Youtube Google Plus Pinterest Tumblr

Architecture of Manitoba

17 December 2009

1877 – Church, St. Jean Baptiste, Manitoba

Imposing and solid church with simple bell tower on the main facade.

29 June 2010

1880s – No. 206 Princess, Winnipeg, Manitoba

Fine warehouse with good quality brick cornice and window detailing. Sadly empty.

04 July 2012

1881 – Hudson’s Bay Company, Winnipeg, Manitoba

Architect: Balston C. Kenway Built at Main & York, to replace an earlier store of 1874 further south on Main Street, which was constructed of stone from Upper Fort Garry. This building was...

15 April 2010

1881 – Riel House, Winnipeg, Manitoba

Riel House, a National Historic Site is the family home of the Métis leader and founder of Manitoba, Louis Riel. It was here, in the living room of his mother’s house, that Riel’s...

22 July 2012

1881 – Université de Saint-Boniface, Winnipeg

Architect: Balston C. Kenway Located on the site of what is now Provencher Park in St. Boniface. In 1922, a major fire completely destroyed the building claiming ten victims and destroying all of...

04 July 2012

1882 – Manitoba College, Winnipeg

Architect: Barber & Barber Originally built as a Methodist College, until the the buildings were purchased by the Jesuits in 1930 for St. Paul’s College. It remained in use until 1964. Demolished. Quite...

04 July 2010

1882 – Courthouse, Winnipeg, Manitoba

Architect: Charles H. Wheeler Built in two stages, the original and larger part was constructed in 1882-83 and housed the Courts, the Law Society and library. It became over-crowded rapidly and a further...

29 June 2010

1883 – Bathgate Block, Winnipeg, Manitoba

Architects: Barber & Barber A good example of the Romanesque Revival style that became so popular in warehouse districts across North America in the 1880s. The building is named after its original owner...

29 November 2011

1883 – Central School No. 1, Winnipeg, Manitoba

Architect: Charles A. Barber When built, this school was described as “away out on the prairie” because it was thought to be so far from the centre of Winnipeg. Yet, it became known...