Twitter Facebook Vimeo Youtube Google Plus Pinterest Tumblr

Architecture of Manitoba

14 August 2011

1883 – Coronation Block, King St., Winnipeg

Architect: John H. G. Russell The Coronation Block, or more popularly the Shanghai Restaurant, was a two storey structure with graceful curved ends. The building had some fine detailing under the metal cornice....

26 July 2012

1883 – Design for Holy Trinity Church, Winnipeg

Architect: Charles H. Wheeler Although most of the church was built as designed by Wheeler, the magnificent tower and spire was never constructed.

27 April 2010

1883 – International Order of Odd Fellows, Winnipeg, Manitoba

Architects: Hugh McCowan The Independent Order of Odd Fellows (I.O.O.F.) is a fraternal organization derived from English Odd Fellows orders of the mid-1700s. The Independent Order of Oddfellows constructed this three-storey structure as...

03 July 2010

1883 – Legislature, Winnipeg, Manitoba

Architect: Thomas Scott Manitoba’s first Legislature building was built facing Kennedy Street, slightly to the east of the current building. Built in a French Second Empire style in keeping with the adjacent Lieutenant...

22 July 2012

1883 – Leland Hotel, Winnipeg

Architect: Barber & Barber Once one of Winnipeg’s most luxurious hotels, featuring 100 rooms, hot and cold running water, a billiard room, barber shop, and reading rooms. Four storeys added in 1892 were...

22 April 2010

1883 – Lieutenant Governor’s Residence, Winnipeg, Manitoba

Architect: Thomas Scott In 1870, Manitoba entered Confederation and in 1872, the former Hudson’s Bay Company house at Upper Fort Garry was officially leased to the Dominion for use as the original home...

01 July 2010

1883 – Police Court, Winnipeg, Manitoba

Architect: Barber & Barber The police courts and station at the corner of King and James, served until 1903 when it was replaced by a new central police station. Demolished 1988. Modern reproduction...

13 August 2010

1883 – Princess Opera House, Winnipeg

The three-storied Princess Opera House opened on May 14,1883. It featured many fine dramatic presentations including Shakespeare’s plays. The Princess burned down in 1892.

04 July 2012

1883 – St. John’s College, Winnipeg, Manitoba

Architect: Barber & Barber Anglican college founded in 1850, and re-established in 1866. Later affiliated with the University of Manitoba. In 1877 St John’s College, St Boniface College (Roman Catholic) and the Manitoba...