Twitter Facebook Vimeo Youtube Google Plus Pinterest Tumblr

Architecture of Manitoba

29 June 2011

1890 – Johnston Terminal, Winnipeg, Manitoba

Architect: The Johnston Terminal is the largest of the buildings in the Forks and contains some commercial space as well as retail. It was formerly the National Cartage Building, in use as a...

13 August 2010

1890 – Strevel Terrace, Winnipeg

Architect: George Creeford Browne Browne most often employed brick in his symmetrical compositions; his work at Strevel Terrace, 1889-90 can be recognized by their absence of applied decoration and by the projecting horizontal...

03 July 2012

1891 – Deaf & Dumb Institute, Winnipeg, Manitoba

Architect: Charles H. Wheeler Constructed on Portage Avenue in two stages. Demolished in 1959.

17 December 2009

1892 – Knox Presbyterian Church, Neepawa, Manitoba

Architect: James H. McDonald Knox Presbyterian is an excellent example of the evolution of the Romanesque Revival style in rural Canada. It features rusticated stone surfaces, round-arched windows and a pyramidal bell tower....

27 April 2010

1892 – Miller Morse Warehouse, Winnipeg, Manitoba

The original three-storey section of this building was erected in 1887 by a hardware wholesaler, Miller, Morse and Company. Capacity was doubled when a building of identical design was added to the north...

27 April 2010

1893 – Peck Building, Winnipeg, Manitoba

Architects: Charles H. Wheeler / John D. Atchison This warehouse was built in 1893, for clothing manufacterer and importer, John W. Peck. Designed by Charles H. Wheeler, it is located on the corner...

29 November 2011

1894 – Norquay School, Lusted Avenue, Winnipeg, Manitoba

Architect: George Creeford Browne Designed by local architect George Creeford Browne, the three-storey building was expanded in 1902, and further renovations were made in 1911 and 1920. It was demolished around 1956 and...

21 April 2010

1895 – Dalnavert House, Winnipeg, Manitoba

Architect: Charles H. Wheeler Designated a National Historic Site, this fine Victorian era house is considered one of the best examples in western Canada. It was built in 1895 for Sir Hugh John...

29 November 2011

1895 – Mulvey School, Winnipeg, Manitoba

Architect: George Creeford Browne Mulvey School No. 3, completed in late 1895 and largely resembling its predecessor which was destroyed in a fire, had 12 classrooms and an assembly hall. By 1908, overcrowding...