Twitter Facebook Vimeo Youtube Google Plus Pinterest Tumblr

Architecture of Winnipeg

21 April 2010

1905 – Manitoba Club, Winnipeg, Manitoba

Architect: S. Frank Peters A fine large brick building designed to house a gentleman’s club in the early 20th century. The interior is opulent and well preserved. The site was chosen because at...

13 August 2010

1905 – Northern Bank, Winnipeg

Architect: George W. Northwood Established as Winnipeg’s Northern Bank in 1905 and merging with the exclusively Ontario-based Crown Bank of Canada in 1908 to form the Northern Crown Bank. Winnipeg remained the new...

08 July 2010

1905 – Walker Theatre (Burton Cummings), Winnipeg, Manitoba

Architect: Howard C. Stone The Walker Theatre, now known as the Burton Cummings, is the city’s oldest surviving grand theatre and was built in 1905 with 2030 seats. It has been designated a...

07 August 2011

1906 – Canadian Bank of Commerce building, Elmwood, Winnipeg

Architect: Darling & Pearson Fine former bank branch by Darling & Pearson for the Canadian Bank of Commerce. They produced many branches for the bank across Canada, and quite a few buildings around...

23 July 2012

1906 – Central Normal School, William St., Winnipeg

Architect: Samuel Hooper The former Central Normal School served as the headquarters for teacher training for more than forty years, and was the key institution for formulating educational philosophy and curriculum. Designed by...

22 April 2010

1906 – City Place, Winnipeg, Manitoba

Architect: John Woodman A massive warehouse building now used as offices and shopping facilities, Eaton Place was linked to the rear of the Eaton’s Department Store by skywalk. It housed T. Eaton &...

23 July 2012

1906 – École Provencher, St. Boniface, Winnipeg

In 1906, the School Board constructed a school at the site where École Provencher stands today. It was a three-storey brick and limestone building, featuring an entry tower surmounted with an elegant ogee...

27 April 2010

1906 – Fairchild Building, Winnipeg, Manitoba

Architects: John D. Atchison & Herbert B. Rugh J.D. Atchison, a Chicago-trained architect, who set up his very successful Winnipeg office in 1905, designed the building and another relocated Chicago designer, H. B....

01 August 2011

1906 – Former Manitoba Agricultural College, Tuxedo, Winnipeg

Architect: Samuel Hooper Following the establishment of the Manitoba Agricultural College in 1903-04, two river lots south of the Assiniboine River and west of Winnipeg were selected. The college officially opened in 1906,...