Twitter Facebook Vimeo Youtube Google Plus Pinterest Tumblr

Architecture of Winnipeg

01 August 2011

1906 – Former Manitoba Agricultural College, Tuxedo, Winnipeg

Architect: Samuel Hooper Following the establishment of the Manitoba Agricultural College in 1903-04, two river lots south of the Assiniboine River and west of Winnipeg were selected. The college officially opened in 1906,...

27 April 2010

1906 – Frost & Wood Warehouse, Winnipeg, Manitoba

Architect: James H. Cadham The Frost and Wood Warehouse was built by contractor Philip Burnett for some $50,000. It is of mill construction with a rubblestone foundation, thick brick walls, an interior frame...

27 April 2010

1906 – Galpern (Porter) Building, Winnipeg, Manitoba

Architect: John H.G. Russell In 1906 James Porter whose firm James Porter and Company previously had been housed in cramped quarters on Main Street, employed John H.G. Russell, one of the city’s best...

08 July 2010

1906 – Garrick Hotel, Winnipeg, Manitoba

Built as an hotel in 1906 and still in operation, the Garrick is a local landmark on Garry Street.

29 June 2010

1906 – No. 662 Main Street, Bell Hotel, Winnipeg, Manitoba

Architects: Joseph Bernhart Seedy, down-at-hell rooming hotel, now closed. Being converted into a hostel for homeless.

04 July 2012

1906 – Royal Alexandra Hotel, Winnipeg, Manitoba

Architect: E. & W.S. Maxwell The 18th and most luxurious of the Canadian Pacific Railway’s hotels, the Royal Alex closed in 1967 and was demolished in 1971. For many years, its ornate interior...

27 April 2010

1906 – Ryan Block, Winnipeg, Manitoba

Architect: Blair & Northwood Like many other local warehouses, 44 Princess has a symmetrical fa├žade divided into three parts and highlighted by Romanesque detailing. The main floor is dominated by three oversized arched...

22 April 2010

1906 – The Grain Exchange, Winnipeg, Manitoba

Architects: Darling & Pearson The center of commerce in The Exchange District, the Grain Exchange Building reflected the growth of Winnipeg at the turn of the century after the growth of the railroads....

04 July 2010

1907 – Former Bank of Toronto, Winnipeg, Manitoba

Architect: Howard C. Stone Montreal architect H.C. Stone was hired to plan the structure in collaboration with his Winnipeg associate L. Bristow. Built at a cost of over $200,000, local contractors Kelly Brothers...