Twitter Facebook Vimeo Youtube Google Plus Pinterest Tumblr

Architecture of Winnipeg

01 January 2014

1959 – John A. Russell Building, University of Manitoba, Winnipeg

Architect: Smith Carter Katelnikoff Named after John A. Russell who taught at the University for 38 years and was named the first Dean of the Faculty of Architecture in 1964. Dean Russell died...

23 April 2010

1959 – Norquay Building, Winnipeg, Manitoba

Architect: Green, Blankstein, Russell Associates An elegant piece of late 60’s modernism, the Norquay building has an understated architectural quality. The compsoitions, scale, materials all contribute to a quality design that can easily...

23 April 2010

1959 – Stanley Knowles Building, Winnipeg, Manitoba

Architect: Moody & Moore Named after Winnipeg’s longest-serving MP Stanley Knowles who served 38 years in Ottawa. Built in two stages, the original designed by Moody and Moore was is the first two...

08 July 2010

1960 – 373 Broadway, Winnipeg, Manitoba

Architects: Waisman Ross Built as the IBM Building and now containing government offices, this is a sophisticated work with recessed ground floor and a pleasing proportions.

21 April 2010

1960 – 400 Colony Street, Winnipeg, Manitoba

Originally built by the Salvation Army, this building now forms part of the University of Winnipeg campus housing the Department of Theatre and Film.

06 March 2012

1960 – Winnipeg Airport, Manitoba

Architect: Green, Blankstein, Russell Associates Architects concept from 1960 of a new airport terminal for Winnipeg. Eventually completed in 1963, and closed in 2011. The project, estimated to cost $8.5m but eventually over...

30 July 2012

1961 – Grosvenor House, Winnipeg

Architect: Libling Michener & Associates This apartment building was originally designed as cast-in-place concrete. But with the City of Winnipeg just accepting prestressed concrete at the time of construction, an alternate design was...

29 June 2010

1961 – Winnipeg Clinic, Winnipeg, Manitoba

Architect: Frank R. Lount The Jetsons come to Winnipeg! With its fabulous cantilevered balconies and stone and concrete walls, the Winnipeg Clinic is a wonderful piece of 1940s Americana. Originally built in 1942...

25 August 2010

1962 – 360 Broadway, Winnipeg, Manitoba

Architect: Waisman Ross Sic storey building with pavilion-like top level. The corners are inverted which draws the eye to the cantilervered pavilion roof. Finished on concrete aggregate panels.