Twitter Facebook Vimeo Youtube Linkedin Google Plus Pinterest Tumblr

Architecture of Winnipeg

22 July 2012

1883 – Leland Hotel, Winnipeg

Architect: Barber & Barber Once one of Winnipeg’s most luxurious hotels, featuring 100 rooms, hot and cold running water, a billiard room, barber shop, and reading rooms. Four storeys added in 1892 were...

22 April 2010

1883 – Lieutenant Governor’s Residence, Winnipeg, Manitoba

Architect: Thomas Scott In 1870, Manitoba entered Confederation and in 1872, the former Hudson’s Bay Company house at Upper Fort Garry was officially leased to the Dominion for use as the original home...

01 July 2010

1883 – Police Court, Winnipeg, Manitoba

Architect: Barber & Barber The police courts and station at the corner of King and James, served until 1903 when it was replaced by a new central police station. Demolished 1988. Modern reproduction...

13 August 2010

1883 – Princess Opera House, Winnipeg

The three-storied Princess Opera House opened on May 14,1883. It featured many fine dramatic presentations including Shakespeare’s plays. The Princess burned down in 1892.

04 July 2012

1883 – St. John’s College, Winnipeg, Manitoba

Architect: Barber & Barber Anglican college founded in 1850, and re-established in 1866. Later affiliated with the University of Manitoba. In 1877 St John’s College, St Boniface College (Roman Catholic) and the Manitoba...

08 July 2010

1883 – Vaughan Street Jail, Winnipeg, Manitoba

Architects: Walter Chesterton & Samuel Hooper Built in 1881, this building was the provincial jail receiving criminals from Manitoba, Northwest Territories and Ontario. Men, women and children were housed here in the late...

22 April 2010

1884 – Holy Trinity Anglican Church, Winnipeg, Manitoba

Architect: Charles H. Wheeler The third church on this site, the present church was commenced in 1883 and completed in 1884. The architect, Charles H. Wheeler, also designed Dalnavert, the Winnipeg home of...

13 August 2009

1884 – Knox Presbyterian Church, Winnipeg, Manitoba

Architect: Balston C. Kenway Built in the boom years of the early 1880s, the cost of this new church, with the site, was $60,000; it was opened for services on 17 August 1884....

21 April 2010

1884 – Telegram Building, Winnipeg, Manitoba

Architects: William Hodgson This building was constructed for R.J. Whitla & Co., dry goods wholesaler and internally features pre-fabricated cast iron columns. Whitla & Co. constructed a larger warehouse on McDermot Avenue in...