Twitter Facebook Vimeo Youtube Google Plus Pinterest Tumblr

Architecture of Winnipeg

04 July 2010

1886 – City Hall, Winnipeg, Manitoba

Architect: Barber & Barber A complete Victorian fantasy of a city hall, this the second City Hall for Winnipeg was mired in controversy for its entire lifetime. Disputes over the location, materials used...

09 October 2014

1886 – Post Office, Winnipeg, Manitoba

Constructed as the Winnipeg Post Office and Customs Office, it was only used as such until 1908, when a new post office building was constructed on Portage Avenue. Used as federal offices until...

27 April 2010

1887 – 173 McDermot Avenue – Mitchell Block, Winnipeg, Manitoba

Architect: A.T. Timewell The date stone over the centre window of the top floor of this building reads 1886, making it one of the earlier structures of the area. It was built for...

08 February 2011

1890 – A.G.B. Bannatyne Residence, Armstrong’s Point, Winnipeg, Manitoba

Architect: Rowan & Payne Armstrong’s Point was intended as an enclave of palatial residences for the new rich merchant classes of the booming Winnipeg in the late 19th century. One of the first...

29 June 2011

1890 – Johnston Terminal, Winnipeg, Manitoba

Architect: The Johnston Terminal is the largest of the buildings in the Forks and contains some commercial space as well as retail. It was formerly the National Cartage Building, in use as a...

13 August 2010

1890 – Strevel Terrace, Winnipeg

Architect: George Creeford Browne Browne most often employed brick in his symmetrical compositions; his work at Strevel Terrace, 1889-90 can be recognized by their absence of applied decoration and by the projecting horizontal...

03 July 2012

1891 – Deaf & Dumb Institute, Winnipeg, Manitoba

Architect: Charles H. Wheeler Constructed on Portage Avenue in two stages. Demolished in 1959.

27 April 2010

1892 – Miller Morse Warehouse, Winnipeg, Manitoba

The original three-storey section of this building was erected in 1887 by a hardware wholesaler, Miller, Morse and Company. Capacity was doubled when a building of identical design was added to the north...

27 April 2010

1893 – Peck Building, Winnipeg, Manitoba

Architects: Charles H. Wheeler / John D. Atchison This warehouse was built in 1893, for clothing manufacterer and importer, John W. Peck. Designed by Charles H. Wheeler, it is located on the corner...