Twitter Facebook Vimeo Youtube Google Plus Pinterest Tumblr

Architecture of Winnipeg

27 April 2010

1899 – 179 McDermot Avenue – W.F. Alloway Building, Winnipeg, Manitoba

Architects: James H. Cadham & S. Frank Peters There is conflicting evidence as to the identity of the architect of this structure. Tenders published in the newspapers directed contractors to the office of...

21 April 2010

1899 – Bain Building, Bannatyne Avenue, Winnipeg, Manitoba

Architect: James J. McDiarmid The west portion of the Brokerage was constructed in 1899 for Edward Nicholson, an Ottawa-born merchant who started a wholesale grocery brokerage firm. In 1905, he made a partner...

04 July 2012

1899 – Canadian Bank of Commerce, Winnipeg, Manitoba

Architect: Darling & Pearson Dismantled stone by stone in 1910 and re-erected in Regina, Saskatchewan. A replacement bank building, even more grandiose was designed and built by Darling & Pearson.

14 July 2012

1899 – Dominion Bank, 440 Main Street, Winnipeg, Manitoba

Architect: Darling & Pearson Beautiful turned corner with banking hall. Located at 440 Main Street, and demolished in 1966. Now an empty site.

21 April 2010

1899 – Isbister School, Winnipeg, Manitoba

Architects: Samuel Hooper Isbister School, one of the first three-storey school buildings in Winnipeg is the oldest public school building in Winnipeg. Designed by Samuel Hooper before he became Provincial Architect in 1904,...

30 September 2009

1899 – Manitoba Trusts Company, Winnipeg, Manitoba

Architect: George Gouinlock Manitoba Trusts Company building constructed at Notre Dame Street East, 1898-99.

21 April 2010

1899 – Merrick-Anderson Building, Bannatyne Avenue, Winnipeg, Manitoba

Architect: James J. McDiarmid With the adjoining Bain Building, this brick and limestone building is a fine early Winnipeg warehouse. Merrick, and Anderson were originally travellers for Dennis Moore of Hamilton. With the...

21 April 2010

1899 – No. 189 Bannatyne (McClary Building), Winnipeg, Manitoba

Architect: S. Frank Peters Like other warehouses on Bannatyne Avenue, the McClary Building benefited from a railway spur to the rear in what is now John Hirsch Place. Much like other Peters designs,...

21 April 2010

1900 – Gault Building, Winnipeg, Manitoba

Architect: George Browne A fine large brick faced warehouse that was originally built as a four storey over basement building. It was applauded as one of the most commodious warehouses in the City....