Twitter Facebook Vimeo Youtube Linkedin Google Plus Pinterest Tumblr

Architecture of Winnipeg

31 July 2012

1903 – Carlton School, Graham Avenue, Winnipeg

Architect: J.B. Mitchell Built to replace the earlier South Central Schools designed by Barber & Barber. Only used for twentyseven years before it was bought by Eatons, demolished for expansion of a parking...

27 April 2010

1903 – Criterion Hotel, Winnipeg, Manitoba

Architect: H.S. Griffiths Built at a cost of $20,000 and designed by H.S. Griffiths a British architect, the Criterion was one of many hotels established in the area to accommodate the thousands of...

21 April 2010

1903 – Land Titles Building, Winnipeg, Manitoba

Architect: Samuel Hooper A small free-standing office building on a domestic scale alongside the Law Courts buildings on Broadway.

22 April 2010

1903 – Newmac Building, Winnipeg, Manitoba

Architect: Taylor & Gordon The Bank of British North America at 436 Main Street is the only neo-Palladian banking hall remaining in Winnipeg, and is probably the oldest structure of its type on...

21 July 2012

1903 – St. Mary’s Academy, Winnipeg, Manitoba

Architect: Samuel Hooper The third location of the school, as it moved to its present location in 1903. At that time, the school sat out on the prairie in an undeveloped area. However,...

21 April 2010

1904 – Codville and Company, Bannatyne Avenue, Winnipeg, Manitoba

Amalgamated into the Ashdown Building in 1911, the former Codville and Company warehouse had two floors added to it so that it formed a continuous wall with the rest of the Ashdown Building....

28 April 2010

1904 – Eaton’s Department Store, Winnipeg, Manitoba

Architects: John Woodman For years the focal point of downtown Winnipeg, the former Eatons Department Store has been demolished to make way for a much criticised entertainment complex. Fortunately the linked Eaton Place...

29 June 2010

1904 – Firehall No.5, Sherbrook St., Winnipeg, Manitoba

Architects: Alexander & William Melville In 1903 the firm of A. and W. Melville, architects and civil engineers, began operation. This company was responsible for numerous buildings in and around the city. An...

30 September 2009

1904 – New Post Office, Winnipeg, Manitoba

Architect: Darling, Pearson & Over Built to replace an earlier post office building near Pacific Station, which was demolished. This fine post office was also demolished and replaced with a terrible building including...