Twitter Facebook Vimeo Youtube Google Plus Pinterest Tumblr

Lost Winnipeg

04 July 2012

1881 – Hudson’s Bay Company, Winnipeg, Manitoba

Architect: Balston C. Kenway Built at Main & York, to replace an earlier store of 1874 further south on Main Street, which was constructed of stone from Upper Fort Garry. This building was...

22 July 2012

1881 – Université de Saint-Boniface, Winnipeg

Architect: Balston C. Kenway Located on the site of what is now Provencher Park in St. Boniface. In 1922, a major fire completely destroyed the building claiming ten victims and destroying all of...

04 July 2012

1882 – Manitoba College, Winnipeg

Architect: Barber & Barber Originally built as a Methodist College, until the the buildings were purchased by the Jesuits in 1930 for St. Paul’s College. It remained in use until 1964. Demolished. Quite...

04 July 2010

1882 – Courthouse, Winnipeg, Manitoba

Architect: Charles H. Wheeler Built in two stages, the original and larger part was constructed in 1882-83 and housed the Courts, the Law Society and library. It became over-crowded rapidly and a further...

29 November 2011

1883 – Central School No. 1, Winnipeg, Manitoba

Architect: Charles A. Barber When built, this school was described as “away out on the prairie” because it was thought to be so far from the centre of Winnipeg. Yet, it became known...

14 August 2011

1883 – Coronation Block, King St., Winnipeg

Architect: John H. G. Russell The Coronation Block, or more popularly the Shanghai Restaurant, was a two storey structure with graceful curved ends. The building had some fine detailing under the metal cornice....

03 July 2010

1883 – Legislature, Winnipeg, Manitoba

Architect: Thomas Scott Manitoba’s first Legislature building was built facing Kennedy Street, slightly to the east of the current building. Built in a French Second Empire style in keeping with the adjacent Lieutenant...

22 July 2012

1883 – Leland Hotel, Winnipeg

Architect: Barber & Barber Once one of Winnipeg’s most luxurious hotels, featuring 100 rooms, hot and cold running water, a billiard room, barber shop, and reading rooms. Four storeys added in 1892 were...

01 July 2010

1883 – Police Court, Winnipeg, Manitoba

Architect: Barber & Barber The police courts and station at the corner of King and James, served until 1903 when it was replaced by a new central police station. Demolished 1988. Modern reproduction...