Twitter Facebook Vimeo Youtube Linkedin Google Plus Pinterest Tumblr

Lost Winnipeg

13 August 2010

1883 – Princess Opera House, Winnipeg

The three-storied Princess Opera House opened on May 14,1883. It featured many fine dramatic presentations including Shakespeare’s plays. The Princess burned down in 1892.

04 July 2012

1883 – St. John’s College, Winnipeg, Manitoba

Architect: Barber & Barber Anglican college founded in 1850, and re-established in 1866. Later affiliated with the University of Manitoba. In 1877 St John’s College, St Boniface College (Roman Catholic) and the Manitoba...

13 August 2009

1884 – Knox Presbyterian Church, Winnipeg, Manitoba

Architect: Balston C. Kenway Built in the boom years of the early 1880s, the cost of this new church, with the site, was $60,000; it was opened for services on 17 August 1884....

04 July 2010

1886 – City Hall, Winnipeg, Manitoba

Architect: Barber & Barber A complete Victorian fantasy of a city hall, this the second City Hall for Winnipeg was mired in controversy for its entire lifetime. Disputes over the location, materials used...

08 February 2011

1890 – A.G.B. Bannatyne Residence, Armstrong’s Point, Winnipeg, Manitoba

Architect: Rowan & Payne Armstrong’s Point was intended as an enclave of palatial residences for the new rich merchant classes of the booming Winnipeg in the late 19th century. One of the first...

13 August 2010

1890 – Strevel Terrace, Winnipeg

Architect: George Creeford Browne Browne most often employed brick in his symmetrical compositions; his work at Strevel Terrace, 1889-90 can be recognized by their absence of applied decoration and by the projecting horizontal...

03 July 2012

1891 – Deaf & Dumb Institute, Winnipeg, Manitoba

Architect: Charles H. Wheeler Constructed on Portage Avenue in two stages. Demolished in 1959.

29 November 2011

1894 – Norquay School, Lusted Avenue, Winnipeg, Manitoba

Architect: George Creeford Browne Designed by local architect George Creeford Browne, the three-storey building was expanded in 1902, and further renovations were made in 1911 and 1920. It was demolished around 1956 and...

29 November 2011

1895 – Mulvey School, Winnipeg, Manitoba

Architect: George Creeford Browne Mulvey School No. 3, completed in late 1895 and largely resembling its predecessor which was destroyed in a fire, had 12 classrooms and an assembly hall. By 1908, overcrowding...