Twitter Facebook Vimeo Youtube Google Plus Pinterest Tumblr

Lost Winnipeg

01 July 2010

1883 – Police Court, Winnipeg, Manitoba

Architect: Barber & Barber The police courts and station at the corner of King and James, served until 1903 when it was replaced by a new central police station. Demolished 1988. Modern reproduction...

29 June 2010

1904 – Firehall No.5, Sherbrook St., Winnipeg, Manitoba

Architects: Alexander & William Melville In 1903 the firm of A. and W. Melville, architects and civil engineers, began operation. This company was responsible for numerous buildings in and around the city. An...

29 June 2010

1919 – Former Bank of Commerce, Winnipeg, Manitoba

Architects: Victor Daniel Horsburgh In Winnipeg the main banks had been clustered on Main Street. As Portage Avenue developed into a shopping area, the banks started to open up branches to cater for...

28 April 2010

1904 – Eaton’s Department Store, Winnipeg, Manitoba

Architects: John Woodman For years the focal point of downtown Winnipeg, the former Eatons Department Store has been demolished to make way for a much criticised entertainment complex. Fortunately the linked Eaton Place...

30 September 2009

1899 – Manitoba Trusts Company, Winnipeg, Manitoba

Architect: George Gouinlock Manitoba Trusts Company building constructed at Notre Dame Street East, 1898-99.

30 September 2009

1904 – New Post Office, Winnipeg, Manitoba

Architect: Darling, Pearson & Over Built to replace an earlier post office building near Pacific Station, which was demolished. This fine post office was also demolished and replaced with a terrible building including...

13 August 2009

1884 – Knox Presbyterian Church, Winnipeg, Manitoba

Architect: Balston C. Kenway Built in the boom years of the early 1880s, the cost of this new church, with the site, was $60,000; it was opened for services on 17 August 1884....

13 August 2009

1901 – J.B. Somerset School, Winnipeg

Architect: J.B. Mitchell Another fine school design by J.B. Mitchell, who must surely be one of the most demolished Winnipeg architects. An impressive building of three storeys in brick brick with an entry...

13 August 2009

1914 – Tribune Building, Smith St., Winnipeg

Architect: John D. Atchison In 1914 a new building for the Winnipeg Tribune newspaper company was designed by leading local architect John D. Atchison. Unusually for the time, it was decorated with 14...