Twitter Facebook Vimeo Youtube Linkedin Google Plus Pinterest Tumblr

Architecture of Hamilton, Ontario

24 January 2012

1853 – Central School, Hamilton, Ontario

Central Public School was opened in 1853 to accommodate 1,000 students in the largest graded school in Upper Canada. Central was the first public school in Hamilton. It incorporated a scheme of an...

25 January 2012

1870s – General Hospital, Hamilton, Ontario

Founded in 1848, the hospital became a part of Hamilton Health Sciences in 1996 when Hamilton General, Henderson General, McMaster University Medical Centre, McMaster Children’s Hospital and Chedoke Hospital merged.

29 November 2011

1877 – St Patrick’s Church, Hamilton, Ontario

Architect: Joseph Connolly Joseph Connolly who was born in Limerick, received his training in the Dublin office of James Joseph McCarthy (1817-81). McCarthy specialized in work for the Roman Catholic Church, and was...

24 January 2014

1878 – Wentworth County Courthouse, Hamilton, Ontario

Architect: Charles Mulligan The former Wentworth County Courthouse was one of the original buildings in Hamilton. The two acre site was donated by George Hamilton to build a courthouse and jail for the...

24 January 2012

1881 – Hamilton Provident & Loan Society, Hamilton, Ontario

Demolished in 1960.

06 January 2014

1883 – Canada Life Assurance Co., Hamilton, Ontario

Architect: Richard Waite Former head office building of the Canada Life Assurance Company, which was founded in Hamilton. Later known as the Birks Building. Demolished in 1972 amid much protest in the city.

24 January 2011

1890 – City Hall, Hamilton, Ontario

Architect: James Balfour Demolished in 1960. Replaced by a fine example of the International Style by City Architect Stanley Roscoe.

24 January 2012

1890 – Library, Hamilton, Ontario

Architect: In 1913 the first Hamilton Public Library vacated their building, built on Main Street West near James in 1890, and moved across the street into the new Carnegie Library. The City finally...

24 January 2011

1891 – Royal Hamilton Yacht Club, Ontario

Architect: William Stewart Short-lived and eccentric building, opened in 1891 and destroyed by fire in 1915.

Pages:123Next »