Twitter Facebook Vimeo Youtube Google Plus Pinterest Tumblr

Architecture of Hamilton, Ontario

24 January 2012

1893 – Post Office, Hamilton, Ontario

Architect: Demolished 1930

24 January 2011

1895 – T.H. & B Station, Hamilton, Ontario

Architect: William Stewart Station belonging to the Toronto, Hamilton and Buffalo Railway Company that existed from 1892 through 1987 as a separate railway serving the Hamilton, Ontario area. Interestingly, although based in Hamilton,...

04 January 2014

1896 – Collegiate Institute & Normal College, Hamilton, Ontario

Architect: William Stewart When it opened in 1896, it was known as the Collegiate Institute and Ontario Normal College. The Normal College was ateacher training school, and was relocated from this building in...

30 September 2009

1899 – Residence, Hamilton, Ontario

Architect: W.W. LaChance

24 January 2014

1905 – Bank of Hamilton, Hamilton, Ontario

The original building on this site was constructed in the 1870s. Around 1905, it was decided to expand, and seven storeys were added to the building, using two as a base. In 1921,...

14 January 2014

1906 – Normal School, Hamilton, Ontario

Architect: Frank R. Heakes Almost identical to other Normal Schools constructed in Stratford, and North Bay, Ontario at the same time. The Normal Schools, renamed Teachers’ Colleges in 1953, were designed to train...

25 January 2011

1906 – Queen Victoria School, Hamilton, Ontario

Demolished in 2005.

24 January 2014

1907 – Terminal Station, Hamilton, Ontario

Architect: Charles Mills The Terminal building exterior was a mixture of masonry and terra cotta brick. The first story of the building was done in Indiana blue limestone. One feature that was originally...

25 January 2014

1908 – Central Presbyterian Church, Hamilton, Ontario

Architect: John M. Lyle Constructed in 1908 after fire destroyed their previous building – John M. Lyle, the architect, was the son of the minister of the time. Lyle was responsible for Toronto’s...