Twitter Facebook Vimeo Youtube Google Plus Pinterest Tumblr

Architecture of Ontario

25 January 2010

1909 – King Edward School, Hamilton, Ontario

10 December 2009

1910 – Courthouse, Kenora, Ontario

Architect: Frank R. Heakes Solid local and regional courthouse in an institutionalised version of Edwardian. Not particularly interesting if not for the unusual central tower. Designed by Frank Heakes, who was chief architect...

11 December 2009

1910 – Former Bank of Montreal, Yonge St., Toronto, Ontario

Architect: Darling & Pearson Originally constructed 1909-10, with an addition on Queen Street in 1920. Interiors altered 2001-02.

10 December 2009

1910 – Kenricia Hotel, Kenora, Ontario

Architect: Frank Newell Now slightly down-at-heel, this once fine hotel is on Kenora’s Main Street and overlooks the lake. The building dominates the streetscape with its striking brickwork. Unfortunate alterations have been made...

10 December 2009

1910 – Whistling Monkey Bar (Former Imperial Bank of Canada), Kenora, Ontario

Architects: Darling & Pearson Solid stone bank building in a vaguely Scottish Baronial style, now converted into a bar. Site of a celebrated bank robbery.

26 January 2012

1911 – Casa Loma, Toronto, Ontario

Architect: E.J. Lennox In 1911, armed with a fortune of $17 million, Sir Henry Pellatt, a Torontonian business man drew up plans with Canadian architect E.J. Lennox to build his dream castle. The...

10 December 2009

1911 – Land Registry Building, Kenora, Ontario

Architect: Frank R. Heakes Built as the Land Registry Building and used as such until 1964 when the province constructed a new building. It was designed by Frank Heakes, who was chief architect...

25 January 2011

1911 – St. Andrew’s Presbyterian Church, Stratford, Ontario

The congregation was founded in 1838, and over the next 30 years, the congregational membership grew and prospered, so that in 1868 a new white brick church was built. That building continues as...

10 December 2009

1912 – Government Conference Centre – Former Union Station, Ottawa, Ontario

Architect: Ross & MacFarlane The Government Conference Centre was originally constructed as Ottawa Union Station between 1909 and 1912 to the designs of architects Ross & MacFarlane, based on original plans by architect...