Twitter Facebook Vimeo Youtube Linkedin Google Plus Pinterest Tumblr

Architecture of Ontario

24 January 2012

1853 – Central School, Hamilton, Ontario

Central Public School was opened in 1853 to accommodate 1,000 students in the largest graded school in Upper Canada. Central was the first public school in Hamilton. It incorporated a scheme of an...

24 January 2014

1859 – Church, Collingwood,, Lake Huron, Ontario

Architect: T.C. Sorby “The accompanying engraving represents a church recently erected in Canada, on the banks of Lake Huron, for a small and scattered congregation, who were much in want of a permanent...

31 January 2013

1860 – Design for Government Buildings, Ottawa, Canada

Architect: Stent & Laver In May 1859 proposals were invited for Ottawa’s intended parliamentary and departmental buildings and governor general’s residence. The first premium for the design of the departmental buildings, now known...

26 January 2011

1860 – Post Office, London, Ontario

The London Post Office wasbuilt circa 1860 and demolished in 1953. The building front, facing onto Richmond Street had double Doric columns on the first level and double Corinthian columns on the level...

26 January 2014

1866 – Houses of Parliament, Ottawa, Ontario

Architect: Thomas Fuller & Chilion Jones In 1859, The Legislative Assembly in Ottawa voted the sum of £75,000 for the erection of a “Parliament House” and offered a premium of $1000 for the...

26 January 2012

1869 – Hellmuth Ladies’ College, London, Ontario

Founded in 1869 by the Rt. Rev. Isaac Hellmuth, second Bishop of the Diocese of Huron, and opened on September 23 of that year by H.R.H. Prince Arthur, the Duke of Connaught. Overlooking...

11 December 2009

1870 – Our Lady of Mount Carmel Church, Toronto, Ontario

Our Lady of Mount Carmel Church (formerly St. Patrick Church) is the 5th oldest Catholic Church in the city of Toronto. The church was first established for a predominantly Irish congregation. But as...

25 January 2012

1870s – General Hospital, Hamilton, Ontario

Founded in 1848, the hospital became a part of Hamilton Health Sciences in 1996 when Hamilton General, Henderson General, McMaster University Medical Centre, McMaster Children’s Hospital and Chedoke Hospital merged.

26 January 2012

1873 – Post Office, Adelaide St., Toronto

Architect: Henry Langley Designed by Henry Langley, the architect reponsible for a large collection of city churches, and built between 1869 and 1873, The GPO stood at 36 Adelaide Street West, the head...