Twitter Facebook Vimeo Youtube Google Plus Pinterest Tumblr

Architecture of Canada

11 December 2009

1844 – Osgoode Hall, Toronto, Ontario

Architect: John Ewart / Henry Bower Lane / Frederick Cumberland & William G. Storm The original two and a half storey building was started in 1829 and finished in 1832 from a design...

11 December 2009

1844 – St. James’ Cathedral, Toronto, Ontario

Architect: Frederick Cumberland The Cathedral Church of St. James in Toronto is the oldest congregation in the city. Established in 1797, the current structure was completed in 1844 and was one of the...

11 December 2009

1845 – Former Commercial Bank of Midland, Toronto, Ontario

Architect: William Thomas Dismantled, moved from its original site, and reassembled to front a modern office building placed in the weird surroundings of Santiago Calatrava’s Galleria at BCE Place. The former Commercial Bank...

01 October 2009

1846 – St. Paul’s Cathedral, London, Ontario

Architect: William Thomas The seat of the Diocese of Huron of the Anglican Church of Canada, it was designed in the Gothic revival style by William Thomas and built between 1844 and 1846,...

16 December 2009

1847 – Archbishop’s Residence, Quebec City, Quebec

Architect: Thomas Baillargé The construction of the Archbishop’s residence began in 1844 and was completed in 1847. It was built following the plans of architect Thomas Baillargé. In 1903, François-Xavier Berlinguet was put...

11 December 2009

1847 – Holy Trinity Church, Toronto, Ontario

Architect: Henry Bower Lane The Church of the Holy Trinity opened in 1847 following the gift of an anonymous donor (later revealed as Mary Lambert Swale of Settle, England). Mrs. Swale had stipulated...

17 December 2009

1849 – St. Andrew’s Anglican Church, Manitoba

Architect: William Cockran Between 1845 and 1849 construction proceeded on a new stone church to serve the burgeoning Parish of St. Andrew’s. The building was designed by Archdeacon William Cockran (1798-1865) to serve...

16 December 2009

1850 – Institute Canadian, Quebec City, Quebec

Built as a Wesleyan Church in 1849-50. In the twentieth century, Congregationalist, Methodist and Presbyterian churches throughout the country merged in 1925 to form The United Church of Canada. In Quebec City, Chalmers...

16 December 2009

1850 – Soeurs de la Charité de Québec Chapel, Quebec City, Quebec

Architect: Charles Baillairgé In 1850, the SÅ“urs de la Charité de Québec community asked Charles Baillairgé to carry out the architectural plans of a chapel. Though the chapel has been ravaged by fire...