Twitter Facebook Vimeo Youtube Google Plus Pinterest Tumblr

Architecture of Canada

11 December 2009

1850 – St Lawrence Hall, Toronto, Ontario

Architect: William Thomas St. Lawrence Hall is a meeting hall in Toronto, Canada next to the St. Lawrence Market. It was built, alongside the new city hall, in 1850 after a fire destroyed...

15 April 2010

1851 – Grey Nuns Convent, Winnipeg, Manitoba

Architect: L’Abbé Louis François Laflèche The old convent of the Grey Nuns, which today houses the St. Boniface Museum, was built between 1846 and 1851, and was constructed of white oak logs. The...

16 December 2009

1852 – Chalmers-Wesley United Church, Quebec City, Quebec

Architect: John Wells This church, inaugurated in 1853, carries the name of Chalmers in honor of Reverend Thomas Chalmers, a former Scottish pastor and former head of the Free Church movement in Scotland....

15 April 2010

1852 – Ross House, Winnipeg, Manitoba

Ross House had its beginnings in 1852 when construction commenced on William Ross’s log home. Ross was appointed Post Master in 1855 by the Council of Assiniboia and he operated the post office...

11 December 2009

1853 – 10 Toronto Street, Toronto, Ontario

Architect: Frederick Cumberland In the mid 19th century with Toronto growing rapidly a new more modern post office was needed as the 6th Post Office (1845-1852) on Wellington just west of Leader Lane...

24 January 2012

1853 – Central School, Hamilton, Ontario

Central Public School was opened in 1853 to accommodate 1,000 students in the largest graded school in Upper Canada. Central was the first public school in Hamilton. It incorporated a scheme of an...

30 June 2010

1855 – Camille-Roy Building, Seminaire de Quebec

Architect: Charles Baillargé The historical site of the Séminaire de Québec in Old Quebec includes a vast number of buildings, some of which date back to the 17th century and are witnesses of...

14 April 2010

1855 – Old St. James Anglican Church, Winnipeg, Manitoba

In 1850, Reverend W.H. Taylor was instructed by the Bishop of Rupert’s Land, The Right Reverend David Anderson, to establish a church for the settlement expanding westward along the banks of the Assiniboine...

16 December 2009

1855 – Presbytery of St. Patrick’s Church, Quebec City, Quebec

Architect: Goodlate Richardson Browne