Twitter Facebook Vimeo Youtube Google Plus Pinterest Tumblr

Architecture of Montreal

11 December 2009

1687 – Saint-Sulpice Seminary, Montreal, Quebec

Saint-Sulpice Seminary (Vieux Séminaire) was erected between 1684 and 1687 and is the oldest building in Montreal. 20 years later, the building was extended by Messrs of Saint-Sulpice who ran the Notre-Dame parish...

11 December 2009

1829 – Marche Bonsecours, Montreal, Quebec

Architect: William Footner / George Browne The Bonsecours Market’s construction began in 1844, with the Public Market being inaugurated in January 1847. The refurbishment of the market’s interior, under the direction of architect...

11 December 2009

1836 – Custom House, Montreal, Quebec

Architect: John Ostell The old Custom House (now part of Pointe-a-Callière, the Montréal Museum of Archaeology and History) was built in 1836, to keep pace with the expanding port. Goods could pass through...

11 December 2009

1859 – Christ Church Anglican Cathedral, Montreal, Quebec

Architect: Frank W. Wills The present Cathedral was completed in 1859, after fire destroyed the previous church on this site. It is a neo-Gothic building, designed by British architect Frank Wills. The spire...

10 December 2012

1860 – Liverpool and London Insurance Company, Montreal, Quebec, Canada

Architect: Hopkins, Lawford & Nelson Published in The Building News, January 27 1860. Possibly the Ontario Bank of 1862 on Place d’Armes in Montreal. Now demolished. Interestingly, in the following issue of the...

10 December 2012

1861 – Provincial Exhibition Buildings & Museum, Montreal, Quebec

Architect: J.W. Hopkins Published in The Building News, July 27 1860. Constructed on Rue St. Catherine as a temporary structure for an exhibition of manufacturing. Described as “The form of that portion of...

14 December 2009

1870 – Hotel Place d’Armes, Montreal, Quebec

Architect: Hopkins & Willy Built in 1870, the original five-story building was built for the insurance company Great Scottish Life Insurance. In 1909, the building was extended by two stories by architects Marchand...

14 December 2009

1870 – St George’s Anglican Church, Montreal, Quebec

Architect: W.T. Thomas St. George’s opened in 1843 to accommodate the overflown (“chapel of ease”) from Christ Church Cathedral and was first located on what is now Notre Dame Street, just outside the...

14 December 2009

1878 – Hotel de Ville, Montreal, Quebec

Architect: Henri-Maurice Perrault & Alexander Cowper Hutchison The five storey Montreal City Hall is the work of architects Henri-Maurice Perrault and Alexander Cowper Hutchison, built between 1872 and 1878. Its architecture is in...