Twitter Facebook Vimeo Youtube Google Plus Pinterest Tumblr

Architecture of Cambridgeshire

07 May 2014

1898 – Design for Guildhall, Cambridge

Architect: John Belcher Unbuilt design for a new Guildhall for Cambridge. The present Guildhall in Cambridge, was completed in 1939, to the designs of Charles Cowles-Voysey. “Our first review of the architecture at...

01 May 2014

1898 – Houghton Grange, Huntingdon, Cambridgeshire

Architect: James Ransome Houghton Grange has lain empty for over 25 years since the poultry research business who used it for decades along with rest of the estate closed. It is now in...

03 December 2013

1880 – House at Cambridge, Cambridgeshire

Architect: W.C. Marshall “This house has been erected at Cambridge for Mr. F.W. Hilyers, from the designs of Mr. W.C. Marshall, M.A., architect.” Published in The Building News, July 16 1880.

27 November 2013

1238 – Peterborough Cathedral, Cambridgeshire

Rebuilt in its present form between 1118 and 1238. It became the Cathedral of the new Diocese of Peterborough in 1541 and it is now known as the Cathedral Church of St Peter,...

05 June 2013

1874 – Holmewood Hall, Holme, Cambridgeshire

Architect: William Young A fine example of Tudor Gothic revival building. Between 1944 and 1945 the house and grounds at Holmewood Hall was used by the United States Office of Strategic Services (OSS)...

17 April 2013

1874 – Congregational Church, Cambridge

Architect: James Cubitt Published in The Building News, October 30 1874: “The object aimed at in this design was to put tho whole congregation in sight and hearing of the service ; and...

09 March 2013

1860 – Whewell’s Courts, Trinity College, Cambridge

Architect: Anthony Salvin Originally named Master’s Court and located across the street from Great Court, these two courts were entirely paid for by William Whewell, the then master of the college. The north...

10 December 2012

1866 – Cambridge Union Society Building, Cambridgeshire

Architect: Alfred Waterhouse The Bridge Street premises was designed by Alfred Waterhouse (who went on to design the Oxford Union Society’s building) and formally opened on 30 October 1866. An additional wing to...

24 October 2012

1881 – Curator’s Cottage, Botanic Gardens, Cambridge

Architect: W.M. Fawcett “The house which we illustrate to-day was built by the Botanic Garden Syndicate, at Cambridge, from the design of Mr. W M. Fawcett, M.A. It is a small house with...

Pages:1234Next »