Twitter Facebook Vimeo Youtube Google Plus Pinterest Tumblr

Architecture of Essex

03 October 2012

1879 – Round & Green’s Bank, Colchester, Essex

Architect: Ernest C. Lee A small independent banking house, in operation since the 1820s. In 1891, it (as Round, Green, Hoare, & Co.) merged with Gurney’s of Norwish, and was inturn taken over...

27 September 2009

1880 – Almshouses, Springfield, Essex

Architect: Joseph Clarke “These alms-houses have been erected by two ladies as a memorial, from the designs of Mr. Joseph Clarke, F.S.A. They are built of red brick, flint walls, and timbered gables,...

01 September 2010

1880 – St. Paul’s Church, Bentley Common, Essex

Architect: Ernest C. Lee Perspective view including ground plan as published in The Building News, May 7th 1880.

01 October 2009

1880 – Town Hall, Saffron Walden, Essex

Architect: Edward Burgess The Town Hall is situated on the south side of the Market Square. It was first built in 1761 and extensively remodelled and extended in 1879. The hall owes its...

14 April 2012

1883 – St. Thomas’s Church, Brentwood, Essex

Architect: Ernest C. Lee Published in The Building News, July 25th 1879. On 14th February 1881 the local MP, Octavius Coope laid the foundation-stone in the west wall of the present church. Two...

24 June 2009

1884 – Convalescent Home, Clacton on Sea, Essex

Architect: Fred Chancellor Essex Convalescent Home, in what became Coppins Road in Magdalen Green, Great Clacton, built to the designs of Fred Chancellor, opened in 1884. It was funded by private subscription as...

03 September 2009

1884 – Easton Lodge, Great Dunmow, Essex

Architect: William Young

27 September 2009

1884 – New Church, Collier Row, Essex

Architect: Ernest C. Lee Perspective view published in The Building News, December 26th 1884.

24 June 2009

1884 – New School at Brentwood, Essex

Architect: Ernest C. Lee