Twitter Facebook Vimeo Youtube Google Plus Pinterest Tumblr

Architecture of East Midlands

06 January 2014

1382 – The Gatehouse, St. Mary’s Abbey, Thornton, Lincolnshire

Almost continuous building work over a century from 1252 onwards included a new chapter house (1282–1308); enlargement of the cloister (1322–6); rebuilding the refectory (1327–8); and construction of a large granary (c 1348),...

02 July 2012

1605 – Lyveden New Building, Northamptonshire

Architect: Robert Stickells Lyveden New Bield (sometimes called New Build) is an unfinished summer house, constructed for Sir Thomas Tresham. The exact date is unknown but can be estimated to circa 1604–05, the...

18 January 2011

1850 – Bank, Northampton

Architect: E.F. Law Published in The Builder, march 30, 1850.

19 December 2012

1858 – Burton Closes Hall, Bakewell, Derbyshire

Architect: T.D. Barry & E.W. Pugin “THE country mansion which we this week engrave has been erected near Bakewell, in Derbyshire. It is the country residence of William Allcurd, Esq. The mansion was...

07 July 2009

1860 – Messrs. Wright’s Bank, Nottingham, Nottinghamshire

Architect: C.H. Edwards . Published in The Builder, August 25 1860.

09 March 2013

1861 – Breadsall Priory, Derbyshire

Architect: Robert Scrivener From The Building News: “THIS Priory, an illustration of which was given in our last, is mentioned in the reign of Edward the Confessor, and was granted by Edward IV....

16 October 2009

1862 – St. Andrew’s Church, Leicester, Leicestershire

Architect: Sir George Gilbert Scot From The Building News, May 23, 1862: February 28th last, we gave a description of this church, which we illustrate on the opposite page this week. The following...

24 June 2010

1863 – Bestwood Lodge, Nottingham, Nottinghamshire

Architect: S.S. Teuton “Our principal illustration, this week, represents a mansion which is now being erected, near Nottingham, for the Duke of St. Alban’s, from the design and under the superintendence of Mr....

09 March 2013

1864 – Northampton Guildhall, Northamptonshire

Architect: E.W. Godwin Built to the design of Edward William Godwin, begun when he was only 28, between 1861 and 1864. As well as housing Northampton Borough Council, it is also used for...

Pages:1234567...18Next »