Twitter Facebook Vimeo Youtube Linkedin Google Plus Pinterest Tumblr

Architecture of London

21 December 2012

1858 – Eastburgh House, Pinner, London

Architect: David Bryce David Carnegie of Stronvar purchased the Eastbury Park Estate in 1857 and rebuilt the mansion and many other estate buildings to designs by Scottish architect David Bryce. The whole estate...

04 December 2013

1858 – George Gilbert’s Scott’s design for Foreign Office, London

Architect: George Gilbert Scott The Foreign and Commonwealth Office building originally provided premises for four separate government departments: the Foreign Office, the India Office, the Colonial Office, and the Home Office. Construction on...

29 August 2013

1858 – Royal Victoria Patriotic Building, Wandsworth, London

Architect: Major Rhode Hawkins Funded by Prince Albert’s Royal Patriotic Fund, the building was intended for the ‘Education and Training of three hundred Orphan Daughters of Soldiers, Seamen and Marines who perished in...

17 February 2011

1859 – Chapel, Royal Dockyard, Woolwich, London

Architect: George Gilbert Scott St Barnabas Church was originally designed by Sir George Gilbert Scott and was built between 1857 and 1859 as the Naval Dockyard Church at Woolwich Dockyard. It stood for...

19 December 2012

1859 – Design for St. Boniface Church, Whitechapel, London

Architect: E.W. Pugin “THE small chapel of St. Boniface, so long the only place of worship for the thirty thousand German Catholics in London, is to be replaced by a magnificent church worthy...

16 July 2009

1860 – Central Hall, Clerkenwell Sessions House, London

Architect: F.H. Pownell The existing building originally erected between 1779 and 1782, as the new Courthouse for the Middlesex Quarter Sessions, at a cost of £13,000. For the next 120 years it was...

11 June 2012

1860 – Chapel, Heath St, Hampstead, London

Architect: Charles G. Searle Published in The Building News, August 3 1860. A non-conformist chapel designed to accommodate around 800 people. Still exists today.

01 April 2012

1860 – Christ’s College, Finchley, London

Architect: Edward Roberts Christ’s College, Finchley is still a school today, on a different location from this building erected in 1860. For over 100 years CCF stood prominently in its second site in...

11 June 2012

1860 – Debenham Storr & Son’s Auction Rooms, Covent Garden, London

Architect: Arthur Allom Published in The Building News, July 29 1860.