Twitter Facebook Vimeo Youtube Linkedin Google Plus Pinterest Tumblr

Architecture of London

01 March 2013

1860 – Drapers School, Tottenham High Cross, London

Architect: Herbert Williams A private school existed on this site from around 1833, in 1858, this school was taken over by the Worshipful Company of Drapers. Substantially altered and enlarged, it functioned as...

16 July 2009

1860 – Floral Hall, Covent Garden, London

Architect: Edward Middleton Barry The glass and iron-framed Floral Hall stands just to the south of the Royal Opera House at Covent Garden, and was completed soon after it. During the reconstruction or...

04 September 2012

1860 – Freemason’s Hall, Great Queen Street, London

Architect: F.P. Cockerell The first English Grand Lodge was founded in 1717, and the building was replaced in 1860 by the architect Frederick Pepys Cockerell. This was inturn replaced in 1927-33 as a...

16 July 2009

1860 – Holy Trinity Chapel, Knightsbridge, London

Architect: Raphael Brandon & Henry M. Eyton The new church, a building in the Early Decorated style with seating for 600, was designed in competition by Raphael Brandon and Henry M. Eyton. S.S....

21 December 2012

1860 – London Printing & Publishing Co., Smithfield, London

Architect: George Somers Clarke From The Building News: “THE Trustees of Cart’s charity have nearly completed, at the corner of Charterhouse-lane and St. John-street, Smithfield, the new premises leased by them to the...

11 September 2012

1860 – Mansions, Queen’s Gate, Hyde Park, London

Architect: J. Tarring & Son Published in The Building News, April 13, 1860. “ABOUT two years ago there stood a row of small inferior houses at the corner of Prince Albert-road and Gore-road,...

21 December 2012

1860 – Metropolitan Board of Works, Spring Gardens, London

Architect: Frederick Marrable The Metropolitan Board of Works was the principal instrument of London-wide government from 1856 until the establishment of the London County Council in 1889. Its principal responsibility was to provide...

20 December 2012

1860 – Philharmonic Hall, Islington, London

Architect: Finch Hill & Edward L. Paraire William Finch Hill was a British theatre and music hall architect of the Victorian era. Between 1856–70, he worked with his partner Edward Lewis Paraire, on...

16 July 2009

1860 – Proposal for the National Gallery, London

Architect: Sir Charles Barry Over the years, general unhappiness with the existing National Gallery resulted in several attempts either to completely remodel the National Gallery (as suggested by Sir Charles Barry in 1853...