Twitter Facebook Vimeo Youtube Google Plus Pinterest Tumblr

Architecture of London

31 January 2013

1919 – Proposed Theatre, Charing Cross Rd., London

Architect: Frank T. Verity Published in The Building News, December 12 1919: “The drawing reproduced on our doublepage plate to-day was exhibited at the Royal Academy this year. Mr. Frank Verity, F.R.I.B.A., of...

31 March 2013

1919 – Sanctuary Buildings, Great Smith St., London

Architect: C.J. Pawley Demolished, and a reproduction facade constructed to front a new vast office block for government departments. Published in The Building News, August 27 1919: “This spacious block of Government office...

15 July 2012

1919 – St. John’s Vicarage, Southend, Lewisham, Kent

Architect: Sir Charles A. Nicholson Published in The Building News, November 28 1919: “A double-page illustration, giving the plan, elevations, and sections of this South London proposed church appeared in our issue of...

16 June 2013

1919 – Unbuilt Arch of Remembrance and Victory, Chiswick, London

Architect: Maurice B. Adams The local Council discussed how best to commemorate the dead of the recently ended war.. Rejecting the suggestion of a sunken bandstand on Turnham Green, the Council decided to...

21 May 2013

1920 – Avon India Rubber Co., Euston Rd., London

Architect: Robert Angell From The Building News, September 3 1920: “The building is a new London depot for the Avon India Rubber Company. Ltd. The premises have frontages in the Euston Road, Fitzroy...

07 July 2013

1920 – Gresham House, Old Broad St., London

Architect: W.T. Hanman Demolished when the area was cleared to make way for the NatWest Tower now Tower 42. Published in The Building News, August 6 1920: “The illustration shows the Broad Street...

30 April 2013

1920 – London County Westminster & Parr’s Bank, Brondesbury, London

Architect: E. Guy Dawber From The Building News, August 6 1920: “The drawing reproduced to-day is at the Royal Academy Exhibition, The building is being erected, The facades are in brick with Portland...

31 May 2013

1920 – Magnet House, Kingsway, London

Architect: R. Frank Atkinson Constructed for the General Electric Co., and extended over the years. Sold in later 1950s and demolished shortly after. Replaced by a building, also called Magnet House, by Richard...

16 July 2013

1920 – Monument Telephone Exchange, Tower St., London

Architect: Edward Cropper Still in use today, and externally largely as illustrated. From The Building News, September 17 1920: “Declarations were made for the erection of this building in 1914-15. but. owing to...