Twitter Facebook Vimeo Youtube Google Plus Pinterest Tumblr

Vanished London

09 April 2012

1729 – East India House, Leadenhall St., London

Architect: Theodore Jacobsen East India House in Leadenhall Street was the headquarters of the British East India Company, and was built on the foundations of the Elizabethan mansion Craven House, to designs by...

29 August 2013

1828 – University Club House, Pall Mall, London

Architect: William Wilkins The University Club House, were at 1, Suffolk Street, London, at a corner with Pall Mall near the north-west corner of Trafalgar Square. Designed by the neo-classical architect William Wilkins...

11 December 2012

1848 – St. Peter’s Church, Great Windmill St., London

Architect: Raphael Brandon Raphael Brandon was a leading architecture writer and perhaps a less successful architect. With his brother, they jointly produced a series of three works on Early English ecclesiastical architecture that...

11 December 2012

1851 – Army & Navy Club, Pall Mall, London

Architect: Parnell & Smith The club was founded by Lieutenant-General Sir Edward Barnes (1776–1838) in 1837 with membership open to officers of the Army, Royal Navy and the Royal Marines. After a limited...

01 April 2011

1852 – Guy’s Hospital, Southwark, London

The hospital was founded in 1721 by Thomas Guy (1644/45–27 December 1724), as a hospital to treat “incurables” discharged from St Thomas’ Hospital. Guy had been a Governor and benefactor of St Thomas’...

24 January 2012

1852 – Holloway Prison, London

Architect: James Bunstone Bunning Originally constructed by the City of London at a cost of £92,650. Holloway was opened in 1852 as a mixed prison, but due to growing demand for space for...

11 March 2013

1856 – Carlton Club, Pall Mall, London

Architect: Sydney Smirke The Carlton Club was founded in 1832, as a party political organisation. By 1835 its wealth and standing were such that it was able to occupy new premises on Pall...

21 December 2012

1858 – Eastburgh House, Pinner, London

Architect: David Bryce David Carnegie of Stronvar purchased the Eastbury Park Estate in 1857 and rebuilt the mansion and many other estate buildings to designs by Scottish architect David Bryce. The whole estate...

16 July 2009

1860 – Holy Trinity Chapel, Knightsbridge, London

Architect: Raphael Brandon & Henry M. Eyton The new church, a building in the Early Decorated style with seating for 600, was designed in competition by Raphael Brandon and Henry M. Eyton. S.S....

Pages:1234567...12Next »