Twitter Facebook Vimeo Youtube Google Plus Pinterest Tumblr

Architecture of Cheshire

21 December 2012

1813 – Eaton Hall, Cheshire

Architect: William Porden / William Burn When Robert Grosvenor, then the 2nd Earl Grosvenor, and later the 1st Marquess of Westminster, inherited the Eaton estate in 1802, it was decided that the Samwell-designed...

11 December 2012

1858 – Crypt Chambers, Eastgate St., Chester, Cheshire

Architect: T.M. Penson Published in The Building News, 1860. Constructed to continue the famous Chester Rows within the design, Penson’s Crypt Chambers is a Grade I listed building. It was built as a...

15 March 2012

1861 – New Barracks, Chester, Cheshire

Architect: T.M. Penson Published in The Building News, April 12 1861. A barracks for the Cheshire Militia built in the early 1860s on the west side of Castle Esplanade on the site of...

11 March 2013

1862 – Church of St. Paul, Hooton, Cheshire

Architect: James K. Colling The church was built between 1858 and 1862 to a design by James K. Colling for the Liverpool banker R.C. Naylor at a cost of £5,000 (£350,000 as of...

15 October 2009

1862 – The Queen Railway Hotel, Chester, Cheshire

Architect: T.M. Penson From The Building News, January 17, 1862: This building illustrated in our present Number is approached by a covered arcade from the station. It is built of red brick with...

24 June 2010

1863 – Borough Hospital, Birkenhead, Cheshire

Architect: Walter Scott “The design is in the Italian style of architecture. The site selected is a piece of land fronting a hospital in Hamilton-street, and which has been found totally inadequate to...

05 September 2012

1866 – Grosvenor Hotel, Chester, Cheshire

Architect: T.M. Penson Designed and built between 1863 and 1866 by the Chester architect Thomas Mainwaring Penson – it his last major work. It was completed after his death by his son’s firm...

11 March 2013

1867 – Albert Memorial Industrial Schools, Birkenhead, Cheshire

Architect: David Walker In 1864 Sir William Jackson donated land for the building of the Birkenhead industrial school. The school was to stand in the centre of the poorest area of Birkenhead –...

23 April 2012

1869 – New Wesleyan Chapel, Alsager, Cheshire

Architect: George B. Ford Now known as Wesley Place Methodist Church. Published in The Building News, April 8th 1870. “THIS chapel (with which it will be seen a school is combined) occupies a...

Pages:1234567...12Next »