Twitter Facebook Vimeo Youtube Linkedin Google Plus Pinterest Tumblr

Architecture of Lancashire

05 February 2012

1917 – Cunard Building, Liverpool

Architect: Willink & Thicknesse Constructed between 1914 and 1916, and one of the Pier Head’s ‘Three Graces’, the Cunard Line’s head office for 60 years from its completion in 1917 until the Company’s...

09 September 2013

1919 – Selected design for School, Chorley New Road, Bolton, Lancashire

Architect: Charles T. Adshead Now known as the Bolton School. Central block completed by 1928, the outer quadrangles added later, completed in 1965, fulfilling the original plan for the school. Charles T. Adshead...

05 February 2014

1920 – Design for Elder, Dempster & Co., Liverpool

Architect: Briggs & Wolstenholme / Hobbs & Thornely Elder, Dempster & Co. were a shipping line and cargo agents based in Liverpool from the mid 19th century onwards. Elder Dempster Lines was the...

21 March 2013

1920 – Memorial Hall & Cross, Glasson Dock, Lancaster

Architect: Charles B. Pearson From The Building News, October 15 1920: “This hall is treated in a domestic style appropriate to its purpose and architectural character. The site is intended to form the...

22 May 2011

1920 – St. Mary’s Church, St. Helens, Lancashire

Architect: W.D. Caroe Unbuilt design for St Mary’s Lowe Church in St. Helens. Caroe did design the completed church but with the exception of upper parts of the tower, the design had developed...

22 March 2013

1920 – Theatre & Winter Garden, Clayton Square, Liverpool

Architect: Robert Atkinson From The Building News, October 8 1920: “We illustrate from this year’s Royal Academy Exhibition the Picture House and Winter Garden which it is proposed to erect in Clayton Square,...

10 June 2009

1924 – Anglican Cathedral, Liverpool

Architect: Giles Gilbert Scott In 1902 an open design competition to design a cathedral attracted over 100 entries including designs from noted architects such as Charles Rennie Mackintosh. In 1903 the assessors selected...

10 June 2009

1925 – Empire Theatre, Liverpool

Architects: W. & T. R. Milburn

06 February 2011

1930 – Lutyens’ design for new Cathedral, Liverpool

Architect: Sir Edwin Lutyens Following the purchase of a site at Brownlow Hill in 1930, Sir Edwin Lutyens (1869–1944) was commissioned to provide a design which would be an appropriate response to the...