Twitter Facebook Vimeo Youtube Linkedin Google Plus Pinterest Tumblr

Architecture of Lancashire

13 July 2009

1870 – Workshops for The Outdoor Blind, Liverpool, Lancashire

Architect: George T. Redmayne From The Building News, November 28, 1873: “Last week we gave an elevation of these workshops. To explain its title and render more apparent the fitness of the building...

29 October 2012

1871 – Former Great North Western Hotel, Lime Street, Liverpool

Architect: Alfred Waterhouse The hotel was built in in 1871 as a railway hotel by the London and North Western Railway to serve Lime Street Station, and contained 330 rooms. The hotel closed...

12 February 2013

1871 – India Mill, Darwen, Lancashire

Architect: Ernest Bates Eccles Shorrock & Co., cotton spinners, constructed this impressive building between 1859 and 1871, including the erection of a 303ft high Italian campanile chimney, and is now itself a Grade...

13 May 2013

1871 – Town Hall, Rochdale, Lancashire

Architect: W.H. Crossland / Alfred Waterhouse Built in the Gothic Revival style at a cost of £160,000, and was inaugurated 27 September 1871. The architect, William Henry Crossland, was the winner of a...

29 June 2009

1872 – Childrens Hospital, Pendlebury, Lancashire

Architect: Pennington & Bridges

02 February 2011

1872 – Church of St. Bridget, Wavertree, Liverpool

Architect: E.A. Heffer Elevation, section & plans from The Building News, December 8th 1876. The foundation stone was laid on 21 September 1868 and the church was consecrated in 1872. It was originally...

13 July 2009

1872 – Liverpool United Gaslight Company, Lancashire

Architect: Littler & Lucy

13 May 2013

1872 – St. Walburge’s Church, Preston, Lancashire

Architect: S.J. Nicholl From The Building News, November 1 1872: “THE church of S. Walburge, Preston, Lancashire, was, as originally designed, a parallelogram, with an open timber roof in one span of 55ft.,...

29 June 2009

1872 – The Towers, Didsbury, Lancashire

Architect: Thomas Worthington Designed for John Edward Taylor, owner of the Manchester Guardian, but sold in 1874 to the engineer, Daniel Adamson. Built in a form of Germanic Gothic, with lavish materials including...